Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens when..........

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

What happens when..........

What happens when you or another defender in your group is injured or shot during a defensive situation that may occur during a SHTF event? We all have given a lot of thought about preparing for a medical emergency as part of are prep's but do you actually have a practiced action plan to deal with such a emergency should it happen?

If one goes by the old wild west movies the Duke used to just slap iron and pour a little whiskey on any non COM hit and go take out the bad guys. In the real world your back up/family have to get you back on your feet asap or most likely the fight will be lost and everyone will be at the mercy of the bad guys.

So what type of emergency medical action plan do you have in place to address such injury's and keep you in the fight?

ETA,

I should have been more clear in the fact that this injury occurs during a SHTF event were response from police, fire and medical transport may not be available. The original intent of the thread was how would members stabilize a defenders NON-COM injury enough to get them back into the fight ASAP.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 06-20-12 at 19:55.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The physical preparation is one thing, but given your scenario how would most fare after seeing a loved one mortally wounded? Would they lose their resolve or stay in the fight and go the distance?

I think anyone with half a brain would avoid confrontations as best they could and break contact when things go sideways. But I’m going to assume your scenario takes this into consideration and deals with the inevitable.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recommend a first-aid course, preferably one that addresses the basics of penetrating trauma. It tends to be perishable information and skills...I question the value of advanced-level gunshot wound management without periodic refreshers. At the least, keep a little medical library in your bunker.

And...don't forget the fish antibiotics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    What happens when you or another defender in your group is injured or shot during a defensive situation that may occur during AN event? We all have given a lot of thought about preparing for a medical emergency as part of are prep's but do you actually have a practiced action plan to deal with such a emergency should it happen?

So what type of emergency medical action plan do you have in place to address such injury's and keep you in the fight?
    My suggestion would be for you and your officers to take a basic tac med class....these range anywhere from a 4 hour class to a 5 day class. One should have a basic IFAK kit and be trained on how to use it. Various classes available around the country and a multitude of med kits available for one's individual needs. The classes will provide you with several scenarios on how to treat and respond to the emergent situation(s) you inquired about.
    Last edited by drsal; 06-16-12 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    If one goes by the old wild west movies the Duke used to just slap iron and pour a little whiskey on any non COM hit and go take out the bad guys.
    Also keep in mind that Jason Bourne does the same thing except he uses vodka

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Most folks are not mentally prepared to see their family members or friends gut shot Or pumping artierial blood like a fountain.

But then most folks have never been trained to deal with something like that.

Im not trained for advanced stuff. I own and read some of the battle field medical books. I then look at my anatomy books to see what it is they are talking about and think WTF.

Other then setting splints, or addressing sucking chest wounds or short term blood stoppage CPR or setting a tournequet, minor stuff, im screwed.

We do have good med kits, just not the skills to use them to our total advantage. Maybe a wilderness trauma class is in order.

DW

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Dirk Williams;1328718

Other then setting splints, or addressing sucking chest wounds or short term blood stoppage CPR or setting a tournequet, minor stuff, im screwed.

We do have good med kits, just not the skills to use them to our total advantage. Maybe a wilderness trauma class is in order.

DW[/QUOTE]

Wilderness Medicine classes may or may not necessarily address gunshot wounds...a tac med class may be a better option.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Most folks are not mentally prepared to see their family members or friends gut shot Or pumping artierial blood like a fountain.

But then most folks have never been trained to deal with something like that.

Im not trained for advanced stuff. I own and read some of the battle field medical books. I then look at my anatomy books to see what it is they are talking about and think WTF.

DW
    Agreed. A lot of this is going to be mental.
    I have a decent background in medicine, but if my wife is popped in the arm or leg or something, I'm pretty sure I'm caring for her. Unfortunately, that goes AGAINST the care-under-fire mentality of the military - namely, keep fighting. Fire superiority ends the fight quicker, allowing better access to continued care and evac to the next echelon of care.

If it's just 1 or 2 folks, I think that someone taking a round would effectively end the fight, as a rule. There's always someone that can take 2 or 3 hits and keep going, but I think most people have never been shot and the mental distraction would be more definitive than the anatomic one (hunters have seen deer run hundreds of yards before they bleed out, right?) If you're anticipating some sort of last-stand redoubt at your home, having an assigned medic to care for casualties is probably wise.

Finally, even if you do treat the person and get the firefight ended, you still have to get definitive care at some point. All the attackers have to do is starve you out from a distance.

Feedback Score
    Forgive me if I'm out of line by adding to the original question (I'm not trying to hijack the thread). Let me know if I should start a new thread...

This has discussed possible ideas about wound care under fire, but what about advanced care after TEOTWAWKI. If there are no hospitals running, or if you can't get there, what are people's plans to care for a "Critically" wounded family member. For example, a sucking chest wound sustained from a firefight. Say you put the bad guys down, what do you do with someone in your group that desperately needs advanced medical treatment?? Any ideas??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bear in mind, ambulances/EMTs/paramedics do not respond to the scene of shootings. They will hold position several blocks away, even when the police call for them. If part of your emergency response plan calls for an EMS response, you should adjust your plans accordingly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast