Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tasers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tasers

There has been many situations were unarmed aggressive persons laugh off a firearm being pointed at them because they knew it was a empty threat by the person/LEO holding the gun. The toad would just keep his level of hostility below the legal use of a firearm for self defense and continue with the aggressive behavior.

I have seen this many times as a LEO but have noticed that compliance is almost immediate once a Taser arrived on location. Now a Taser is a less lethal option to use for self defense but it can still kill if there are under laying medical conditions and drug use. But a Taser is a valid option to stop a physical attack on your person if legal to own and use in your area. (Check your local laws).

So has anyone here considered purchasing a Taser such as a C2 as a secondary option while carrying a firearm for personal self defense?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As a (soon to be) civilian, I am not burdened by the rules and escalation of force..

If I can't physically deter an attacker/threat with my body, the weapon is coming out and it's probably going to get used.

Taser is just another expensive niche device, while I'm sure it does have it's merits in LE use today, I don't think I'd even bother taking if I happened to come across one in a SHTF event.

The one I was issued, (x52?) seemed to discharge it's batteries all by itself within a few months, and wasn't able to handle the day-to-day abuse as well as other items carried. Couple that with nearly impossible to find replacement batteries and cartridges, doesn't really make it that attractive to me.

I would rather have a 12g with beanbag/rubber buckshot rounds for my less-than-lethal capability, if anything.
    Last edited by alienb1212; 06-22-12 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think there's some merit to tasers for folks who don't/can't quite have/get the mindset required to put a bullet in a bad guy.

My wife shoots, but she is hesitant to carry her gun because she doesn't want to have to kill someone, even though the alternative may be devastating for her. I've got her a couple of pepper spray devices that she carries, even bought her the "practice" containers so she's actually deployed the device and knows how it will actually work.

A taser might be an option for her, but practicing with one could be expensive. I've not found any yet, but do they make "practice" cartridges for tasers?

*ETA* I guess they do have trainer cartridges... missed those the last time I looked into them.
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 06-22-12 at 09:32. Reason: ETA
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    As a (soon to be) civilian, I am not burdened by the rules and escalation of force..

If I can't physically deter an attacker/threat with my body, the weapon is coming out and it's probably going to get used.

Taser is just another expensive niche device, while I'm sure it does have it's merits in LE use today, I don't think I'd even bother taking if I happened to come across one in a SHTF event.

The one I was issued, (x52?) seemed to discharge it's batteries all by itself within a few months, and wasn't able to handle the day-to-day abuse as well as other items carried. Couple that with nearly impossible to find replacement batteries and cartridges, doesn't really make it that attractive to me.

I would rather have a 12g with beanbag/rubber buckshot rounds for my less-than-lethal capability, if anything.
    Thats must be a very old first gen Taser as I have never heard of it.

The current L/E Taser is the X26 and they use a easy to find lithium battery pack which last many years. The X26 is a compact very sturdy ECD which has a self diagnostic on start up and shows the percentage of remaining battery. The light is a bit dim past 21 feet but the laser is excellent and is centered between the darts spread.

The C-2 version looks like a Star Trek type 2 Phaser and is much more compact then the X-26 but has the same power but a longer discharge time (Shocking) of 30 seconds over the 5 second (Shocking) cycle discharge of the X-26.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 06-22-12 at 20:46.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Regardless, in a SHTF event are you really willing to **** around with tasers?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    There has been many situations were unarmed aggressive persons laugh off a firearm being pointed at them because they knew it was a empty threat by the person/LEO holding the gun. The toad would just keep his level of hostility below the legal use of a firearm for self defense and continue with the aggressive behavior.

I have seen this many times as a LEO but have noticed that compliance is almost immediate once a Taser arrived on location. Now a Taser is a less lethal option to use for self defense but it can still kill if there are under laying medical conditions and drug use. But a Taser is a valid option to stop a physical attack on your person if legal to own and use in your area. (Check your local laws).

So has anyone here considered purchasing a Taser such as a C2 as a secondary option while carrying a firearm for personal self defense?
    I'm currently in negotiations with my wife for her to carry one instead of pepper spray. She hasn't yet found the motivation to want a gun. And until she is sure about it I'm afraid a gun would be more dangerous to her than not having one.

I've also thought a taser that does not run on cartridges would be a handy tool to have around after seeing articles about flash mobs of young kids doing stupid stuff. It would be a terrible thing to choose between taking what could turn into a severe beating/robbery from a group of 14 year olds or having to employ a handgun against them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Thats must be a very old first gen Taser as I have never heard of it.

The current L/E Taser is the X26 and they use a easy to find lithium battery pack which last many years. The X26 is a compact very sturdy ECD which has a self diagnostic on start up and shows the percentage of remaining battery. The light is a bit dim past 21 feet but the laser is excellent and is centered between the darts spread.

The C-2 version looks like a Star Trek type 2 Phaser and is much more compact then the X-26 but has the same power and uses the same dart cartridges.
    The C2 uses a dfferent cartridge than the X-26c. The X26c uses the same one as the M-26/X-26 issued to law enforcement. The civilians can only purchase cartridges that are 15'er's. Law Enforcements cartridges can go to 31'. The C-2 also gives a 30 second ride compared to the x-26 whihc gives a 5 second ride.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    While far from a Taser expert, I have carried an X26 for the past 6 years or so. I think some folks get the old "stun guns" and Tasers mixed up and while the Taser can be used in this fashion (ie a drive stun) it's the disruption of large muscle groups between the probes that make the Taser effective. Stun guns are simply pain compliance weapons and while they also have their place, their applications are limited in my experience.

That being said, as a cop, it has it's place. Just like a baton, pepper spray and a firearm. We (Cops) have different things we need to address and the Taser is an asset although we preach to those we train that it in NO WAY replaces a firearm in a deadly force scenario. I can tell you that in a civilian SHTF scenario, it would be the last thing I grabbed.

As another poster said, for someone who is dead set against carrying a handgun for self defense, it beats a rock but it definately has limitations and is not, IMO, a good tool for general self defense based on these limitations.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    When they come out with a Taser that's capable of firing multiple, self-contained cartridges that don't require leads back to the unit, I'll carry one as a civvie. Until then, I think they should be reserved to LEO's and those who are unwilling to carry a gun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Phila, is this in reference to a post "SHTF" event or are we talking about daily CCW?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast