Thread: Running an Angled Foregrip with a Combination Verticle Grip/Bipod?

Feedback Score

Running an Angled Foregrip with a Combination Verticle Grip/Bipod?

I purchased my first AR at the end of last year, one of the LMT CQB 16 Monorail, and have been doing a lot of customizing and experimenting since then as I've gotten very into the hobby and wanted to learn more. I've mainly been running the gun with an AFG since I got it, and have been changing things up a lot to find the most comfortable shooting set up. For instance, I just recently discovered I prefer to not have rail covers on and changed accordingly.

To try something different and have an option for more stable long range shots that wouldn't require using a block or a shooting bag, I bought a FAB Defense G2 Verticle Foregrip/Rotating T-Pod because I liked the idea of the versatility of it. I seem to prefer running the VFG closer to the magwell, while if I run with the AFG, I prefer it at the end of the rail near the muzzle. Yet when I deploy the VFG into the bi-pod, I like to hold on to the front of the rail when shooting for stability.

The problem, potentially comes when I noticed that in the positions I like, both the AFG and VFG/bipod would fit on the rifle at the same time, and decided to just give it a shot. Turns out that when I have the bi-pod deployed, using the AFG at the same time feels very natural, yet I can understand the idea that potentially running with two grips is redundant.

Is there anything inherently wrong with doing this, per se, other than its not the norm? Am I going to look too much like i'm trying to be Mr. Tactical Operator, or do I go with whatever set up feels most natural?

Feedback Score
    Although I don't use any of the stuff you are talking about, you should use what works for you and not worry about looking like Mr. Tactical Operator. A few years ago Mr. Bearded Operator Man was very popular. Nowadays he is cliche while the clean shaven man in a baseball hat and regular T-shirt is quite popular. None of that has anything to do with the actual act of shooting a gun and will probably change in the next few years anyway.

What kind of groups are you looking for at long distance anyway? I've found that using a magazine as a monopod is an effective way of stabilizing the gun for point shooting distances.
    Last edited by NWcityguy2; 04-21-15 at 00:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The immediate issue is weight.
    Three control accessories adds up if you're gonna be carrying the rifle for any significant period.
    If this is just gonna be a bench gun that you're just trying to shoot tight groups with, then ace the AFG & Vert grip
    If you're gonna do more running and gunning or doing close/intermediate work, the bipod may be more trouble than its worth. A good VFG (or as previously mentioned a magazine) can act as a pretty decent monopod in a clinch.
    If anything I say you should identify the role this rifle will play and accessorize accordingly instead of filling up as much of the rail as possible.
    Fighting guns should be boring and predictable.
    Training to use them in a fight should not.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    This reminds me of a pic I saw from Afghanistan where a SF operator was running a similar setup on a Block II CQBR.

These weapons are highly modular and no one size will fit every shooter. I'm no operator or expert, but I agree with the other poster who says do what works for you.

Here's the aforementioned photo:

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    How many rounds have you put through your carbine since purchasing it?

I say that because all the kit that people throw on their rifles costs money. Money that most people would be better off spending on ammo and training. I used to use vert grips, angle grips and even tried that gripod deal when it was first issued to us (07?). Now I don't use any of them, I prefer a flat bottom. I find I can better reach my Surefire switch better without them. Also, the add weight. May seem minimal, but ounces make pounds-pounds make a overly heavy carbine. If your dead set on running them I say choose the best that works for you and stick to that. I see no need to have multiple places to put my hand when I am shooting. I want one index point and only one. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    I thought the AFG was the stuff when it first came out. I never got to shoot with it but thats ok. I feel natural doing like Jason says, hand closer to bore.

However, what looks to me like would help indexing are those little rail attached stops. I dont know what they are called. They are like little half moon tabs. Looks like they would keep your hand close to bore while still offering a stop and indexing point.

*MY line in the sand has long been drawn.
    And in today's world... it's sobering to look what ground is left in front of it*
    ---------------------------------------
    But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; - Ephesians 5:3

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    How many rounds have you put through your carbine since purchasing it?

I say that because all the kit that people throw on their rifles costs money. Money that most people would be better off spending on ammo and training. I used to use vert grips, angle grips and even tried that gripod deal when it was first issued to us (07?). Now I don't use any of them, I prefer a flat bottom. I find I can better reach my Surefire switch better without them. Also, the add weight. May seem minimal, but ounces make pounds-pounds make a overly heavy carbine. If your dead set on running them I say choose the best that works for you and stick to that. I see no need to have multiple places to put my hand when I am shooting. I want one index point and only one. Just my opinion.
    I've probably put 3-500 rounds through it so far. At 100 yards out I'm hearing complaints from the former Marines I shoot with because my groups seem to be tighter than theirs at times. My free hand could definitely use some work, but It's coming along.

It's not really about the money, because I will buy as much ammo as I want to shoot, I just really enjoy customizing things in general, and finding the exact best setup that works for me, so I don't really have to choose between the two.

I already switched out the grip, upgraded the extractor, put an ambidexterous raptor charging handle in, changed out my buffer tube and spring for a VLTOR A5 system, added a qd endplate, put ranger floor plates on my magazines, got an EOtech XPS with a magnfier (but only after I was shooting tight groups with iron sights first), so I consider the whole thing a learning/training experience in a way, in addition to simply really enjoying it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a system which addresses my needs which sound similar to what your working with in some respects.... I run a Harris bipod mounted at the end of my 15 inch rail with an AFG Behind it. The set up I have it on is mostly a long range bench gun but when I am moving around it's easy enough to disconnect the bipod to drop the weight. I have tried a grip-pod in the past and did not like it. Gun sits too high and is consequently unstable. Another point worth mentioning is when shooting with a bipod I think it's better to not touch the rifle with your off hand... I am a rightly so I usually wrap my left arm over the stock putting my hand on the right shoulder gently leaning forward into the bipod "forward charging" it produces the tightest groups IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Run what works best. By that I mean forget comfort. Buy a shot timer if you don't have one, and run through some drills with different setups. I have found what is uncomfortable is often better. You won't be shooting for minutes on end if you need to use it.