Thread: Colt AR-15A2

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Colt AR-15A2

I've recently taken an interested in assembling or acquiring an A2 clone.

I've got a gentlemen offering me a Colt AR-15A2 Gov't rifle upper. Post ban- 20', 1:7, sear relief cutout, standard pivot/takedown holes. He swapped the half moon carrier out for a used M16 Colt carrier w/ original bolt.

He said the barrel looks good but round count is unknown. His words- "round count was low from my knowledge".

What do you guys think a fair value is for this upper receiver group?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ok, a little more clarity regarding round count- he hasn't shot it. Guy he bought it from said he put about 800 through it. For arguments sake since there is no way to really know let's call it 1.5-2k.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Given the going prices of a complete post-ban Colt AR-15A2s, it would estimate the upper w/ Colt M16 BCG to be valued around $500 and maybe as high as $550. With the estimated round count, I would not value it any more than that.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm thinking $450 would be a steal, $500 would be fair, $550 and up would be I'm not interested. Currently he wants $560...down from his asking price of $600

I am far from an A2 buff though....far from one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen4Glock22 View Post
    I'm thinking $450 would be a steal, $500 would be fair, $550 and up would be I'm not interested. Currently he wants $560...down from his asking price of $600

I am far from an A2 buff though....far from one.
    I would make him an offer of $500. If he did not take it, I would just leave it. You can always build a decent new A2 upper assembly (A2 upper receiver, 20" Gov't profile, 1:7 barrel), for around $500-$550 (depending on the barrel assembly and BCG you use). RRA has complete A2 upper receivers, A2 buttstocks, A2 handguards, and Windham Weaponry has a really nice A2 20" Gov't profile barrel assembly. You will just need the small parts to put it all together.

Feedback Score
    If you want an A2 clone, I'd recommend buying over assembling. Buying a barrel with an original FSB (not F-marked) already installed is either going to seriously limit your options, or significantly increase your price of having one installed. Plus you'll likely have to pay two or three shipping costs to get everything you need.

I'm not one to drive a hard bargain so I'd probably pay $550 for it but you could probably get it for less. In this market, with how unpopular a true A2 upper already is, you might be the only buyer for it. That being said, if your A2 bug wears off, now you are the one holding the upper that nobody else really wants. You'd be better off getting one with a detachable carry handle so you could scope it or sell it easier. IIRC you were looking at buying a 20" flat to upper earlier anyway.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    If you want an A2 clone, I'd recommend buying over assembling. Buying a barrel with an original FSB (not F-marked) already installed is either going to seriously limit your options, or significantly increase your price of having one installed. Plus you'll likely have to pay two or three shipping costs to get everything you need.

I'm not one to drive a hard bargain so I'd probably pay $550 for it but you could probably get it for less. In this market, with how unpopular a true A2 upper already is, you might be the only buyer for it. That being said, if your A2 bug wears off, now you are the one holding the upper that nobody else really wants. You'd be better off getting one with a detachable carry handle so you could scope it or sell it easier. IIRC you were looking at buying a 20" flat to upper earlier anyway.
    I've got two flat top 20"s now. A Colt A4 and BCM A4.

Assembly is certainly an option as well but I haven't priced much out. For the components I'd want I'm guessing I'm in the $550 range w/ out shipping. I've also got a thing for Colt so if I tried to source all Colt parts it would prob come out even higher.

Feedback Score
    "Sarco Inc" had some old A2 stuff once upon a short time ago. Im at work right now trying to find a link to the actually product.

*MY line in the sand has long been drawn.
    And in today's world... it's sobering to look what ground is left in front of it*
    ---------------------------------------
    But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; - Ephesians 5:3

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Judging by the (lack of) response in this thread it would appear that A2's really are unpopular.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen4Glock22 View Post
    Judging by the (lack of) response in this thread it would appear that A2's really are unpopular.
    It is not so much that they are unpopular, in this modern AR age, many are not into the old school A1 and A2 ARs and the old iron sights. They would rather have the latest and greatest ARs with all of the new amenities. I do like the modern ARs, but I can appreciate the older ARs since I learned the platform on a M16A1 back in '78. To me, these rifles will never be out of style because there will always be guys out there that appreciate them. There is nothing like an old school AR.