Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: carbine stock staking (comparison)

Feedback Score
    Not at all surprised.

Tack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I use a spring loaded punch and hit it about 5-6 times pushing the metal into the relieved area of the castle nut.
    Robb...

If a fellow doesn't have a spring loaded punch...does he use a Pointed punch, or a flat drift style punch? Does the punch need to be any specific type of material, or Rockwell hardness?

I want to have a go at this, but don't want to buy a spring loaded punch for one application.

Thanks for your reply!

Tack

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Robb...

If a fellow doesn't have a spring loaded punch...does he use a Pointed punch, or a flat drift style punch? Does the punch need to be any specific type of material, or Rockwell hardness?

I want to have a go at this, but don't want to buy a spring loaded punch for one application.

Thanks for your reply!

Tack
    The Starrett or an alike center punch will work too but you'll have to hold the lower, the punch and whack it with a hammer. It's also harder to control how much you're staking but it will work. I think the manufacturers use a pneumatic tool.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    The Starrett or an alike center punch will work too but you'll have to hold the lower, the punch and whack it with a hammer. It's also harder to control how much you're staking but it will work. I think the manufacturers use a pneumatic tool.

Was thinking of holding it in a padded jaws vice somehow, or have my gorgeous wife hold it steady on the bench.

Tack
    Last edited by toddackerman; 10-06-07 at 10:05. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Was thinking of holding it in a padded jaws vice somehow, or have my gorgeous wife hold it steady on the bench.

Tack
    Just don't get distracted by looking at your wife.

I know a guy who accidentally shaved off an eyebrow (was using a beard/mustache trimmer, IMHO too big a tool for the job at hand) and lost focus looking at his wife as she got out of the shower. So he then trimmed the other one off too. When I first saw him, I thought he had lost a bet or something.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Just don't get distracted by looking at your wife.

I know a guy who accidentally shaved off an eyebrow (was using a beard/mustache trimmer, IMHO too big a tool for the job at hand) and lost focus looking at his wife as she got out of the shower. So he then trimmed the other one off too. When I first saw him, I thought he had lost a bet or something.

LOL!

I sprung for a Spring Loaded punch at Home Depot. Will let you know how it turns out. I'm VERY Mechanically "Reclined".

Tack

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I bought the spring loaded punch from Home Depot a few weeks ago and tried it. After a few tries, I got a couple of faint marks and the tip of the punch is now blunt. I guess I'll try again with something a little more high quality than Stanley tools. David.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I bought the spring loaded punch from Home Depot a few weeks ago and tried it. After a few tries, I got a couple of faint marks and the tip of the punch is now blunt. I guess I'll try again with something a little more high quality than Stanley tools. David.
    The first one I got at Home Depot basically did the same thing, and I'm glad I tested it on a different piece of metal before thinking about doing it to me my DD QD Mount/ retaining plate.

These come in different sizes, tip material and spring power. So, I picked one up at my ACE Hardware store that was "beefier" and had a much harder tip. Looks like carbon steel, and it didn't deform when applied. I still had to hit it 4-5 times (Like GotM4 did with his) but it did the job, and came out pretty good.

I'll be taking back the one from Home Depot.

Tack

Feedback Score
    Habour Freight makes a pretty sturdy one and it only 1 buck.

Feedback Score
    You can do it with a punch and hammer but it's harder to control it.

Thats how I did my VLTOR

I did it the same as my DEFENDER 2000 SOPMOD

you dont need a very Deep hole

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast