Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dot and HST Questions

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Gold Dot and HST Questions

I'm just changing the title/content of this one to narrow down the info I'm looking for.

I know that talking about different service pistol calibers is such a small part of the whole package, but before I commit to buying 1000+ rounds of duty ammo, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best thing going.

I have two weapons chambered in 9mm: my constant companion and daily carry is a Glock 19, and I also have a Sub2000 (16" barrel). Both weapons use the same magazines and I just want one round that will perform well in both.

I'd rather stay away from +P, but I don't mind using it if it's the best load for the job.

The three primary rounds from "The List" that I seem to be able to find in abundance and at a decent price are Federal HST 147gr, Speer Gold Dot 147gr, and Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.

What would be the best to zero my Sub2k with, and then load all my mags with? Anticipated ranges for use with the Sub2k are CQB distances to 50 yards, but I could obviously engage out to 100 yards with it.

Additionally, I know that accuracy/reliability testing are a key component of this decision but they are pretty much all doing good out of my guns. This question is specifically about terminal effectiveness.
    Last edited by Leatherneck556; 12-26-10 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Of those three I like the 124gr +P Gold Dot and the 147gr HST the best.

We carry the 124gr +P GD at my job, and have found that it is a very reliably performing bullet when launched from S&W and Glock pistols. The HST has also performed very well in both testing and on the street.

I would guess that the +P would beat up the Kel Tec more than the 147gr rounds, but it is also what I use in my sub2000 and I haven't had a problem yet.

I would also guess that the +P would have less drop at distance, and would be most likely to expand but I've never seen any long range gel tests on pistol bullets.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    124gr+P is probably the best overall performing load for 9mm. It cycles a wider range of weapons more reliably, is flatter shooting, and does well in FBI protocol tests. Particularly in bonded bullets like the Gold Dot.

Another favorite of mind is the Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr+P. However, it is a little more expensive and harder to find. However, it is one of the most accurate duty loads I've ever shot.
    Last edited by Entropy; 12-27-10 at 06:51.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Of the ones listed, I'd probably go with the 147 gr HST, followed by the 124 gr +P Gold Dot--but be sure to buy a couple of boxes of each and check them in YOUR weapons for function and accuracy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Doc, if expanding out of the ones listed, would another load take first place over the 147gr HST?

Feedback Score
    I am currently carrying Fed 147 gr HST and like the Speer 124 gr +P as well.

In addition, the Win 147 gr RA9T works well, as does the Fed Tactical 135 gr +P mentioned above; the Barnes 115 gr XPB is also a nice option.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks, Doc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you have to worry about getting into cars at all then the Gold Dot or the DPX would be the better choice, although the 147gr HST ain't bad for a non-bonded bullet.

I've often thought that for unobstructed shots the HST does a better job than the GD due to huge expansion in all of the shootings that I have seen with that load, but I realize that I am starting to fall into the "preoccupation with infinitesimal increments" trap.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Doc,

Have you tested the Federal 147 gr +P yet and if so does it show any performance improvements over the standard pressure 147 gr HST?

Feedback Score
    No we have note tested it yet...but soon.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast