Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dot and HST Questions

Feedback Score
    I carry the 124+P Gold Dot at work.
    When I took my MAG40 class Mass Ayoob said he liked the 124+p GD and the 127+P+ win ranger.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So I bought a 50 round box of each 147gr Gold Dots, 124gr +P Gold Dots, 147gr Ranger-Ts, and 147gr HST. I shot rounds through both my Glock 19 and Sub2k to check accuracy, reliability, and recoil.

I had always carried 147gr HST before now.

So anyway, all had excellent accuracy from the pistol. At 10' I shot a ten-round string with each of the above types of ammo offhand. All grouped nicely and gave me four separate 1" ragged holes.

At 30' from the kneeling with my Sub2k, all but the 147gr Gold Dots gave me one ragged hole. The 147gr Gold dots didn't group that well and the Sub2k also choked on one of the 147 GD rounds - Failure to eject.

I then started shooting very rapid 5-shot strings from 15' with the pistol to get a feel for the difference in recoil. I shot 3 5-shot strings for each load: one with both hands, one with right hand only, and one with left hand only. I was aiming at a 6" circle - this is where I was really surprised. I had always tried to stay away from +P rounds because of increased recoil and pressure and whatnot. I think (and this is very subjective, obviously) that the 124gr +P Gold Dots had the least recoil... or at least the most pleasant recoil. At any rate, I was able to get my sights back on target more quickly with those.

During this testing, and the subsequent rapid fire from my Sub2k, I had four more malfunctions - all with the 147gr Ranger-Ts. I had two failures to feed in the Sub2k and two failures to fire in the G19.

So at the end of it all, I think that I like the 124gr +P Gold Dots a lot. Now I will acquire a bigger stock of them and do a really in-depth function test in my weapons. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck556 View Post

. . . the 124gr +P Gold Dots had the least recoil . . .

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Like I said, it was very subjective. They felt to me to be the best to shoot... that said, they all felt pretty similar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck556 View Post
    So I bought a 50 round box of each 147gr Gold Dots, 124gr +P Gold Dots, 147gr Ranger-Ts, and 147gr HST. I shot rounds through both my Glock 19 and Sub2k to check accuracy, reliability, and recoil.

I had always carried 147gr HST before now.

So anyway, all had excellent accuracy from the pistol. At 10' I shot a ten-round string with each of the above types of ammo offhand. All grouped nicely and gave me four separate 1" ragged holes.

At 30' from the kneeling with my Sub2k, all but the 147gr Gold Dots gave me one ragged hole. The 147gr Gold dots didn't group that well and the Sub2k also choked on one of the 147 GD rounds - Failure to eject.

I then started shooting very rapid 5-shot strings from 15' with the pistol to get a feel for the difference in recoil. I shot 3 5-shot strings for each load: one with both hands, one with right hand only, and one with left hand only. I was aiming at a 6" circle - this is where I was really surprised. I had always tried to stay away from +P rounds because of increased recoil and pressure and whatnot. I think (and this is very subjective, obviously) that the 124gr +P Gold Dots had the least recoil... or at least the most pleasant recoil. At any rate, I was able to get my sights back on target more quickly with those.

During this testing, and the subsequent rapid fire from my Sub2k, I had four more malfunctions - all with the 147gr Ranger-Ts. I had two failures to feed in the Sub2k and two failures to fire in the G19.

So at the end of it all, I think that I like the 124gr +P Gold Dots a lot. Now I will acquire a bigger stock of them and do a really in-depth function test in my weapons. Thanks for the advice everybody.
    Damn, I'm glad to hear that. I thought I was the one person on Earth who didn't think the 124+P was recoiling more than the 147's.

One thing I do really like about the G19 is it seems to be more omnivorous in regards to ammo than my Smith M&P's. Those show a real preference for the lighter weight bullets.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post

Got any data for the Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr+P at 1060fps from a 4" barrel? I've found it to be a little harder than standard 147gr, but much more comfy than 124gr+P.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

Got any data for the Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr+P at 1060fps from a 4" barrel? I've found it to be a little harder than standard 147gr, but much more comfy than 124gr+P.

The Federal 135 grain +P load had a velocity of 1034 fps from the SIG P229, for a recoil energy of 4.0 ft-lbs.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    all with the 147gr Ranger-Ts. I had two failures to feed in the Sub2k and two failures to fire in the G19.
    This last bit puzzles me.

I can see having issues with the Kel tec feeding (although mine feeds Rangers fine), but the fails-to-fire from the G19 is puzzling.

Striker spring worn? Firing pin channel gummed up? Old ass ammo with bad primers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawnee View Post
    Doc,

In addition to the Remington Golden Saber ammo, I picked up some Federal ammo marked "Personal Defense" listing an 147 grain Hydra-Shok JHP. I assume this is not the same thing you are recommending. Any suggestions about where I can mail-order the HST ammo?

Thank you!
    Hydra-Shok is not the same as HST.

The only place I've been able to find HST via mail order is: Kyle's Gun Shop. Lack of availability for HST is the primary reason I've gone with Gold Dot.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    Hydra-Shok is not the same as HST.

The only place I've been able to find HST via mail order is: Kyle's Gun Shop. Lack of availability for HST is the primary reason I've gone with Gold Dot.
    Dont' forget ammunitiontogo.com which is in Bryan, Texas. They usually have the top end defensive ammo in stock, and if not they get fresh stock in pretty quickly.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast