Thread: Physical Conditioning relating to Training

Feedback Score

Physical Conditioning relating to Training

Guys,

I don;t know if this applies to this board but I wanted to share something with you.

I am 50 years old, and like many of us older guys, I really was hard on my body in my younger days. Well, it finally has caught up with me.

I'm having Lumbar Disc Surgery on Monday because of a severely torn lumbar disc. Asisde from the most excruciating pain I've ever had, there's another part to this. I am totally unable to defend myself other than having a tool ready to engage with from my bed...and it bothers the crap out of me. I am totally unable to defend my family, as well unless again...it' from my bed in the master bedroom. If the BG comes through the front door and my family is on the main level....they're toast!

The good news is that recovery from this is 95% and I'll be up and walking the day of the surgery, and back to 100% within 6 weeks. I will be changing my lifestyle immediately upon recovery.

The reason that I am posting this is to encourage you to include Physical Conditioning in your training regimen, so that when and if you have to "Fight"...you can. For back related issues, keep your guts and back muscles in check, as these are 2 of the leading causes of back conditions. They help to support the spine as I'm sure many of you know.

Also, to you young guns...don't be macho and foolish with your body at your young age. It will catch up with you. There's no reason to not get help for those overly strenuous activities like moving refrigerators, sofa's, picking cars up out of a snow banks etc. by yourself when there are other options like asking for help.

Thanks for listening, and I hope this helps some of you in later years.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks very much for the advice.

The great thing about a firearm and the ability to effectively employ it is that the physical condition of the user is almost irrelevent - something I try to impress upon my 125lb. wife every day.

For my own part, I try to lift weights at least twice a week and do some kind of cardio at least 5 times a week. While not perfect, I do what I can with my diet. Don't forget how important sleep is - this one will eventually kill me.

Drinking and cigarettes are two stupid things as well - I kicked the smokes 9 years ago, and I try to be responsible with the booze.

Feedback Score
    Martial arts are a good way to learn discipline and body conditioning while having fun and learning useful defensive tools.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Guys,

I don;t know if this applies to this board but I wanted to share something with you.

I am 50 years old, and like many of us older guys, I really was hard on my body in my younger days. Well, it finally has caught up with me.
    Wishes for a speedy recovery.

When you say you were hard on your body, do you mean you overworked it and trained too hard or did not do any physical conditioning at all?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Wishes for a speedy recovery.

When you say you were hard on your body, do you mean you overworked it and trained too hard or did not do any physical conditioning at all?
    Physically overworked it to the point of injury.

Regarding physical ability in using a firearm...you have to be able to move your body to fight with it effectively effectively, and right now that's not even possible.

Tack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Physically overworked it to the point of injury.

Regarding physical ability in using a firearm...you have to be able to move your body to fight with it effectively effectively, and right now that's not even possible.

Tack

Back pain and injury is amazing, a 6 inch square part of your body is not right, and you suddenly cannot function. When I say not function, you dread the thought of having to get up and go to the restroom. If you drop the remote you might just end up watching Oprah because she is less painful than rolling over to get the remote off of the floor. Dealt with it on and off my entire life, it sucks.

Wish you fast healing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    Back pain and injury is amazing, a 6 inch square part of your body is not right, and you suddenly cannot function. When I say not function, you dread the thought of having to get up and go to the restroom. If you drop the remote you might just end up watching Oprah because she is less painful than rolling over to get the remote off of the floor. Dealt with it on and off my entire life, it sucks.

Wish you fast healing.
    Thanks for the well wishes Nate!

You're absolutely right about the remote and Oprah. My 51" Big Screen almost got 28 Rounds of 75Gn Tap in it the other day because my AR was closer than the remote.

Feedback Score

yup...

...been right there with you bro'...
    Micro-disc in '99...L5-S1...
    nothin' like it...hang-in and hold-on, it does take time and lots of it...The beauty part is the very first time you stand up and there's no-pain, oh geez...