Thread: POI difference between 55 and 75 gr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

POI difference between 55 and 75 gr

If i sight in my 1:7 twist rifle with 55 gr bullets, how far off would the POI be when i use 77 gr at say 100 yrd? The reason is because im going sight in my new scope and all i can find at the stores around here are 55 gr.
    Last edited by downbad; 12-27-10 at 11:51.
    “But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”

Feedback Score
    A large LE agency's SWAT team here issued 75 gr OTM for years, but trained with 55 gr FMJ--no problems, especially at 100 and in, as there was only an inch or so difference in POI between the two loads.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Only way to know for sure is to try it and see for yourself. Your gun, your ammo, etc. Once you know what the shift is, you can make the determination as to whether or not it matters for your purposes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It all depends on the gun.

My LMT 10.5 has a 100 yard zero with 77gr ammo, but also happens to be spot on at 50 yards with 55gr XM193. The nice thing with this is out to about 300 yards it's torso accurate with either load.

As with anything, YMMV.
    "Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless." -Kenny Powers

Project Manager - Nightforce Optics

Feedback Score
    This is for my gun, LMT 10.5" and these are my hand loads but this might give you a rough idea:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Only way to know for sure is to try it and see for yourself. Your gun, your ammo, etc. Once you know what the shift is, you can make the determination as to whether or not it matters for your purposes.
    Bingo! I had an upper that shot 55 gr stuff well and was not doing well at all with 75 gr Hornady TAP ammo. The upper was sent back and replaced. Since then, everything is kosher. You need to check out what YOUR uppers does with both rounds and see if it matter to you.
    Last edited by urbankaos04; 01-14-11 at 02:19.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Of three of mine I've tried, the biggest difference is about 1.5" at 200m - not too shabby.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister