Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 550 Am I ordering everything needed for 9mm/40/45ACP?

Feedback Score

Yes to separate seating & crimping

Another vote for separate seating & crimping. And I also use the Lee FCD. WB
    NRA Endowment Life member
    Proud veteran of the Naval Security Group

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WBAR View Post
    Another vote for separate seating & crimping. And I also use the Lee FCD. WB
    Why? I am one of those guys that like to know how everything works and the reasoning behind it. So why is it better to crimp at a seperate station? I understand that 2 processes are happening, but why is that a bad thing?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Why? I am one of those guys that like to know how everything works and the reasoning behind it. So why is it better to crimp at a seperate station? I understand that 2 processes are happening, but why is that a bad thing?
    It is a heck of a lot easier to set up.

Some people say it is more consistent to crimp separately. I have not tested that but I can believe it.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Got the press set up and ran a batch of 100 147Gr. Hornady XTP 9mm.
    Issues:
    1. Powder charge drifted from 4.5-4.8 grains HS-6

2. While changing the primer arm from the large to small, it did not line back up in the shell plate/base. I loosened the arm, set the plate down on the primer arm and re-tightened. Seating the primer on round 3 did not feel right. Again the primer arm was not lining up to the hole in the base, nor was it returning to the home position. Found this was a self induce problem when I fumbled and spilled round 2 after checking the charge. Cleaning the spilled powder up and realigned the arm. Worked for the next 97 rounds just fine.

3. Had about a 75% spent primer retention rate, a quick search in the tips and tricks section on Enos’ page I did the mandatory paper clip upgrade. No more issues.

4. Some cases would hang while entering the sizing die. I found the retaining/locator spring was pushing on the case just a little bit too hard tilting the case. Backed the spring out a little and all was good again.

So 2 issues were self induced and out of the other 2 issues, 1 was resolved and the other is just something I will need to be aware of when loading max loads.
    I think it will be awhile before I am at the 500-600rds an hour as it took me about 1 hour to run this first batch.
    Think this is going to be a great press. The only item I am going to be cautious of is loading maximum loads with the .3 grain drift. Think if I am pushing the upper limits, I will go to my single stage.
    Thanks for all the help with getting the correct parts ordered. I look forward to shooting more so I can reload more!
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-18-11 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Got the press set up and ran a batch of 100 147Gr. Hornady XTP 9mm.
    Issues:
    1. Powder charge drifted from 4.5-4.8 grains HS-6
    What sort of powder is HS-6 (geometry wise?) I probably have a pound somewhere but have not seen it in years.

You should be able to make adjustments to improve the powder drop to be a bit better. It may work but may not be best adjusted. Though this is probably not a big deal with 9mm make sure you give enough time on the downstroke for the powder to fall through. Do you notice any powder on the press at station 2? (this is especially an issue with things like 223 and other small ones where a lot of powder has to go through a small hole -- like I said -- not such a problem in 9mm)

Between each stroke, give a little rap to the powder measure and see if that helps even out the drops (helps to settle the powder if it is a flake or otherwise difficult geometry to get even packing with). At least try it as a test for 20 or 30 rounds.
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    I don't think you'll ever get 500-600 an hour, even though people claim its possible. If you had primer tubes ready and a case feeder and bullet feeder maybe and were just cranking that handle as fast as can be. 300 an hour should be fairly easy with 9mm and still be able to visually inspect each powder charge.

Try lube on the cases. I've started to put lube on the pistol brass and it makes it alot smoother and that $10 bottle of dillon lube will go a long way.

Rubbing alcohol and qtips do a good job to clean up the press when you get powder spilled on/under the shellplate. The priming system also works better if you can keep it clean.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It is do-able (without bullet feeder and case feeder) but you have to be up on your game. I have known people who could get at least 500... You do need all your primer tubes pre filled, everything at the ready, and be on your game. Comfortable with what you are doing and practiced.

500 is 7.2 seconds per. 600 is 6 seconds per...

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    I don't think you'll ever get 500-600 an hour, even though people claim its possible. If you had primer tubes ready and a case feeder and bullet feeder maybe and were just cranking that handle as fast as can be. 300 an hour should be fairly easy with 9mm and still be able to visually inspect each powder charge.

Try lube on the cases. I've started to put lube on the pistol brass and it makes it alot smoother and that $10 bottle of dillon lube will go a long way.

Rubbing alcohol and qtips do a good job to clean up the press when you get powder spilled on/under the shellplate. The priming system also works better if you can keep it clean.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    What sort of powder is HS-6 (geometry wise?) I probably have a pound somewhere but have not seen it in years.

You should be able to make adjustments to improve the powder drop to be a bit better. It may work but may not be best adjusted. Though this is probably not a big deal with 9mm make sure you give enough time on the downstroke for the powder to fall through. Do you notice any powder on the press at station 2? (this is especially an issue with things like 223 and other small ones where a lot of powder has to go through a small hole -- like I said -- not such a problem in 9mm)

Between each stroke, give a little rap to the powder measure and see if that helps even out the drops (helps to settle the powder if it is a flake or otherwise difficult geometry to get even packing with). At least try it as a test for 20 or 30 rounds.

Looks like a flake powder to me. I will check the alignment of the rod connecting the powder measure and the press. I will also try giving it a rap or two. I would think just working the press would rap it enough. Maybe not though... Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looks like a flake powder to me. I will check the alignment of the rod connecting the powder measure and the press. I will also try giving it a rap or two. I would think just working the press would rap it enough. Maybe not though... Thanks
    Flake powders are hard to get consistent in any brand powder measure. The do not settle evenly (same problem "stick" powders have) and so each time you get a different amount of air pockets / air volume. Helping the powder settle is your best bet (or switching to a non flake powder). Giving a few small raps will do that. I know of people who have rigged up vibratory devices to the powder measure to keep things settled. I had a customer who invented such a device and had them tuned to each brand of powder measure and I was selling them for him but then he was killed in an accident (RIP) and that ended that. I have other customers who have invented similar things for themselves... With this device we were selling you could get even long grain extruded (stick) powders to be sub .1 grain variance out of any reasonable powder measure.

That connecting rod has nothing to do with it -- that is a safety feature only. By adjustment I was talking more about the timing of the movement of the powder bar (measured by that white plastic square on the side) versus your pull etc. But your problem is the flake powder not settling well and varying the air.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you see my deleted thread.. I felt guilty about starting a new thread to ask the below question, so I deleted it and moved the question here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=242098 at $34.99

or these

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...hree_Die_Sets_ at $62.95

Reason I don't just get the Lee's.... The Dillon has a larger chamfer on the sizing die and I have a Dillon 550.

The reason I don't just order the Dillon die set.....I have a single stage press and I may want to load on it. If I get the dillon dies, I have no way to flare the cases unless I buy a expander die.

I am leaning more toward the lee right now. What are your thoughts?

I did a little more checking and I think it will be the Lee's and if I have issues, I will get the dillon sizing die for 25 bucks.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-18-11 at 18:12.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast