Thread: Bolt sticking on Rem. 770

Feedback Score

Bolt sticking on Rem. 770

I hate to even insult you guys by asking a question concerning this rifle, but I am not letting my son take my Rem. 700 from the car to my safe, much less taking it hunting.

I'm sure most have read about the sticky bolt problems with the 770. Well, this issue has finally shown up on his 770. It is now three years old and has been shot 261 times. Most things I have read say to lube it well and then dump it back on Rem. if that doesn't fix it, but it not a sticky bolt when the take down screws are loosened some.
    Has to be an issue with the stock somewhere pushing on something and causing the bolt to bind on the frame just behind the receiver, when the take down screws are tightened. It has just now started doing this. Has anyone dealt with this first hand and corrected it? I am looking for the specific place in the stock to whittle out so that it does not put pressure on the frame behind the receiver. Does the area around the bolt hole of the rear take down screw need to be shaved some? I know it is not an appealing rifle, but he can hit stuff with it, and it is not costing us anything to own it. (It was given to him by my dad before he died.)

Feedback Score
    I took about 1/100" off of the rear take down bolt shaft base (under the bolt ramp) and it corrected the problem. These stocks are made of materials that will swell over time when introduced to cleaning solvents and oils. Also, the frame around the ramp is made of some kind of plastic, unlike the polymers used for pistols.
    Last edited by 300WM; 12-30-10 at 16:33.