Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival hat

Feedback Score

Survival hat

This may seem like a minor point but I want to find a very durable and practical hat for wilderness survival. This might not be the best forum for this and if you know of a different place please let me know but I want a good hat to keep the sun off me in the summer, rain off me and not fall apart. The typical ball cap isn't what I'm looking for either. There are so many cowboy, safari, bush hats etc that I would like to get some advice to start to steer me in the right direction.

Thank you

Feedback Score

Hat

A Viet Nam jungle hat would fit that Bill.

11f2d

Feedback Score
    It's hard to go wrong with a Tilley hat.
    Last edited by Tungsten; 12-29-10 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The boonie hats talked about on Lightfighter here;

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...7104#674107104

seem to be what you might be looking for. Custom made, very good features.

Feedback Score
    I like the Stubby Boonie Hat suggestion, it's definitely something that I had not thought about, nor did I know it existed My concern with that is the lack of brim wouldn't do much for the keeping the sun or rain off.

I don't want to be a cowboy but I'm ok with a cowboy style hat. I just don't know much about the durability of the different materials, same goes for the bush style hat.

Other suggestions?
    Last edited by Carcajou; 12-29-10 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with a Tilley hat.
    A big ditto to Tilley hats.

Their first model (can't recall the name/number but it's the round one with 3" brim) is the best. It's a bit heavy for very hot weather but those straps that secure it to back of your head and chin are hard to beat.

The darn thing stays on your head in the wind and brush. If you wash it once in a while it'll last you the rest of your life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In most any full time (and even part-time) outdoor situation, a good hat is a must.

Use the hat that fits the conditions. For GP and light rain wear I use a Kuhl (64% cotton 33% nylon) ball cap sprayed with Camp Dry. For cold weather I use a simple Polartech beanie.

The boonie hat format is an outstanding GP hat format for full-time outdoor wear. The back of the brim is sometime inconvenient for vehicle wear. But if you are outside most of the time it can't be beat for most situations. Check out this site:

http://www.booniehat.org/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't tried the new-tech gucci hats. A GI boonie hat has served me well wandering the woods and desert. I'm sure there's something better in more optimal fabrics and design, but it's a good place to start.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Well I was in Portland and stopped by the Filson store. I ended up getting the Shelter Cloth Packer Hat. I was impressed with the material and liked the fit.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Tilley hat. It is the best outdoor hat ever made. Tilley will also replace the hat for free if you ever wear it out. I believe they will also send you a new one if you lose your hat in the first 2 years. I have had my T3 for about 12 years now and it is far from being worn out. It has protected me from sun, kept the rain off my head, and has been all over the world with me. I'm not really a hat kinda guy, but I love my Tilley.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast