Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    My apologizes, we had to keep a lid on it till we got the OK, got the e-mail last night and tried to put it together asap.

To be honest I didn't think I would like it much. A short barreled 308 + bolt action + laminated stock are not really my tastes in rifles. But after the classroom time with Ruger and Ed Head on the process and progress that went into designing the Gunsite Scout, their purpose based of Coopers intent, they had my interest. After some range time and then running the Scrambler I was sold. We all(well not all) look at an AR or AK(self-loading) as our headin-for-th-hills arm, I know I do or did but the simplicity and reliability of a bolt gun make much more sense. I know any firearm can malfunction and needs maintenance but a gas driven firearm is more complicated(internally) and needs more care, a bolt gun just needs less.

That said, we didn't have bench time to wring out accuracy. Nor was there a chrono, no time anyway.

As for the laminated stock, I admit I'm probably a poly freak, but a solid stock makes a much better weapon than hollow plastic.

With the adjustable length spacers and whatever that buttpad is made out of it sure didn't feel like you were shooting a snub-nose 308 bolt gun. I actually enjoyed shooting it and didn't want to stop burning up the ammo when they called it quits. Being a short barrel handy rifle it move through the Scrambler with ease, enjoyed it so much ran back and got in line to run it again.

Hope this is a little more info.
    How was the action? Smooth and easy or grindy and draggy? Same goes for the trigger, safety, etc...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    By the way, meant to correct you earlier--

Factory original 5rd steel magazine for all short-action AICS stocks and AE MkII rifles. Double-stack, single-position feed design can also be used with other .308 Win-based cartridges including .260 Remington and .243 Winchester. Corrosion-resistent low-friction finish ensures durability and reliable feeding in any environment
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK... how's this:

- Howa 1500 Action, .308, Medium-Profile 18" Barrel
    - Matte Black Duracoat Finish, Forward Picatinny Rail
    - Shrouded-Blade Front & Ghost-Ring Rear Sights
    - 10-Round, Double-Stack Mags, Spare in Buttstock
    - Synthetic, Youth-Length Stock w/ Integral Bipod

If you only had room for one bolt gun in the safe....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    How was the action? Smooth and easy or grindy and draggy? Same goes for the trigger, safety, etc...
    The action was slick. Really didn't get a good feeling for the trigger, everything we did was reactionary. But I didn't have a complaint with it, will be nice to get one and spend some time with it.

Safety is well, worked the way it was designed to. I'm not a big fan of the 3 position but I understand the advantage of the design.

The Ching Sling was another surprise, saw it and said "what the hell", but after Il Ling's instructions on its use I find it to be a very fast and useful sling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    Safety is well, worked the way it was designed to. I'm not a big fan of the 3 position but I understand the advantage of the design.
    Doesn't the M77 use a tang safety? I haven't shot one in years but I'm almost positive that gun had a tang safety.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    H.E.L.L. Y.E.S.

Nice work Ruger!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Doesn't the M77 use a tang safety? I haven't shot one in years but I'm almost positive that gun had a tang safety.
    Mauser style safety.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Supposedly some lawyers said the tang safety was a liability, that is what a Ruger rep told some of us about six years ago. I don't know if it's true but it sounds plausible.

I'm curious how well this will sell seeing how the Ruger Frontier was discontinued a couple years back and that was supposed to be based off Cooper's ideas. I always wanted one in 7mm-08 but it took a back burner to other guns. This one looks sweet especially in places like California where assault rifles are the devil and drug dealers are saints. It may just become a must have while I'm stationed here.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    I was always interested in the Scout Rifle concept. I see that Ruger is introducing a scout rifle:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...fle/index.html

M77-GS
    .308 Win.
    5rd or 10rd mag (photo appears to show 20rd)
    16.50" barrel
    length 38.00" - 39.50"
    Length of pull 12.75" - 14.25"
    Wgt 7.00 lbs.
    MSRP $995.00 (Still high in cost, but a lot better than Steyr)

Any one have experience with the M77 rifles to tell how their scout rifle might hold up?
    I've had two Ruger M77 rifles an older tang safety International and a Compact Rifle , both in .308. They are rugged and good to go.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    This looks very nice, I'd love to snag one when the prices drop. Yikes the mags are pricey.

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast