Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The syn stock shows 6.2 lbs on the Ruger site. That's within 3oz of the standard m77rsi in 308, and similar in weight to the current Hawkeye's if you accounted for a shorter barrel.

So it's in the ballpark, not what I'd call heavy. I guess the laminate stock was skewing perceptions. (.9 lb difference, more than perception I guess)
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 05-09-16 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I was indeed, thanx. I was just siting it in for a buddy and wanted to try it. I had not tried it off hand from the bench. I think it's a great little rifle for my recs (though I wish the action as a tad smoother but I hear that also improves with time) and would still purchase one. Physics is physics, and if you want smaller and lighter guns with larger projectiles, you gotta pay the physics piper. I can see myself putting higher rnd counts through an AR, and enough to make sure all is GTG with the little GSR, to balance out my physics problem.
    I prefer shooting my Ruger from slung prone. It works pretty well that way.

The action on mine smoothed out after a lot of dry fire while watching a movie or two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    The syn stock shows 6.2 lbs on the Ruger site. That's within 3oz of the standard m77rsi in 308, and similar in weight to the current Hawkeye's if you accounted for a shorter barrel.

So it's in the ballpark, not what I'd call heavy. I guess the laminate stock was skewing perceptions. (.9 lb difference, more than perception I guess)
    My RGSR's current weight equals 7 pounds 2.144 ounces scoped, slung, and no rounds in a 3 round magazine. I'm a whole 2.14 ounces away from making the upper end of Cooper's 6.5-7 pound weight limit and it feels pretty good.

The closer one gets to the original specs that Cooper laid out the more the scout rifle makes sense.

Feedback Score
    I just got back from the range this evening sighting in my GSR with its new scope. This little 16" gun is a real shooter.

Willbrink, what kind of ammo were your running through your gun that it recoiled so much? There is a big difference in felt recoil between 150 grain ammo and 180 grain ammo. .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawnee View Post
    I just got back from the range this evening sighting in my GSR with its new scope. This little 16" gun is a real shooter.

Willbrink, what kind of ammo were your running through your gun that it recoiled so much? There is a big difference in felt recoil between 150 grain ammo and 180 grain ammo. .

I did too!

200 yards sitting on a reduced sized silhouette.

Feedback Score
    Idirel, now that is some nice shooting! I have only been using sandbags on the bench. Now that I'm sighted-in, it's time to see what I can do without training wheels too.

These guns are real shooters.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Don't recall. Was some surplus he had. No doubt, more mass to move more recoil via Newton's second law.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Idirel, now that is some nice shooting! I have only been using sandbags on the bench. Now that I'm sighted-in, it's time to see what I can do without training wheels too.

These guns are real shooters.
    Gracias! I found that getting the comb height correct made things a lot easier.

uploadfromtaptalk1463669997349.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldirel View Post
    Gracias! I found that getting the comb height correct made things a lot easier.

uploadfromtaptalk1463669997349.jpg
    +1 on that. I have just finished getting my RGSR to the point where I think it's "dialed in" with a synthetic stock, a 1" comb height riser, and a muzzle device that doesn't irritate me as much as that birdcage flash hider (who puts a flash hider on a bolt gun?). I am hoping to spend some quality time with the rifle in a week or so.

Feedback Score
    What did you do for the comb riser? Mine needed to be about 7/10".

I'll probably move to kydex piece sometime in the future but I was trying to save weight.

Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast