Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Feedback Score
    That seems like the opposite of what a compensator should do. Normally they make things a lot louder since they direct the blast to the sides and even back towards the shooter.

Big goofy looking breaks like the one sold by JP generally perform best but look stupid, are really loud, and and add weight and length to the gun.

Most report that a comp on a bolt gun accomplishes three things, that is, reducing recoil, allowing a person to watch bullet impact, and making it loud as heck.

If your worried about noise a suppressor would probably serve you better if they're legal where you're at. The "experts" say suppressors generally accomplish the same things as a comp but without all the noise. This is the route I'll be taking in the future and it'll just ride in my pack until I get to my hunting area and start calling.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ldirel View Post
    That seems like the opposite of what a compensator should do. Normally they make things a lot louder since they direct the blast to the sides and even back towards the shooter.
    You may be missing the key word "linear." From what I'm reading and if you look at images of the one I'm speaking about (Kaw Valley, another would be Keis) the idea behind them is they project everything forward not to the sides.

Big goofy looking breaks like the one sold by JP generally perform best but look stupid, are really loud, and and add weight and length to the gun.
    I agree. Often after market device are friggin ugly, heavy and for zero benefit. The one I've bought is (to me) not necessarily ugly. It weighs about 2oz's more that the factory device, is barely wider than the factory device and is the same length. SO... it shouldn't change much from that perspective.

Most report that a comp on a bolt gun accomplishes three things, that is, reducing recoil, allowing a person to watch bullet impact, and making it loud as heck.
    The concept is that with the forward projection of the "LINEAR" compensator recoil may actually increase but most report that there is a reduced sound to the operator. Again, thats what I'm reading and will soon evaluate for myself.

If your worried about noise a suppressor would probably serve you better if they're legal where you're at. The "experts" say suppressors generally accomplish the same things as a comp but without all the noise. This is the route I'll be taking in the future and it'll just ride in my pack until I get to my hunting area and start calling.
    Unfortunately I live in NewYorkistan and a suppressor is a no go here.

Again... I am not an expert on the topic of muzzle devices on any level. So I'm sort of working with researched knowledge until next week when the item is delivered, placed and experimented with. I may well be completely off base. I'm always open to advice and or suggestions.

My plan is to run some rounds through it immediately before I replace the existing device to get a fresh for it and then run it again immediately after I put the new one on to see if there is an appreciable difference..
    I'll probably video it from a couple angles as well and see if there is any noticeable differences from that perspective.

Not really a very scientific approach or process but its all I got. And heck its shooting and that's never really terrible.

Who knows, it may suck. If it does I'll go back to the original or find another option.

Thanks for the thoughts and discussion.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Ops View Post
    [/B]
    [/COLOR]
    Again... I am not an expert on the topic of muzzle devices on any level. So I'm sort of working with researched knowledge until next week when the item is delivered, placed and experimented with. I may well be completely off base. I'm always open to advice and or suggestions.

My plan is to run some rounds through it immediately before I replace the existing device to get a fresh for it and then run it again immediately after I put the new one on to see if there is an appreciable difference..
    I'll probably video it from a couple angles as well and see if there is any noticeable differences from that perspective.

Not really a very scientific approach or process but its all I got. And heck its shooting and that's never really terrible.

Who knows, it may suck. If it does I'll go back to the original or find another option.

Thanks for the thoughts and discussion.
    You are correct. I missed the linear part.

I'm anxious to see your results.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ordered a 16" SS barrel/composite GSR on Monday. This is my first bolt gun. I got enanored with the scout rifle concept a few months back and with deer season in full swing here in NC I figured what the hell...

Chose the 16" and composite stock for the weight. My goal is to be under 8 pounds with an empty magazine, sling and a low powered variable. I was looking into mounting a 2-7 or similar scope on the forward mounting rail but I've been considering 1-6s as of late. The farthest realistic shot I would take in my area is ~400Y. A 1-6 has plenty of magnification in that regard.

I've been looking at the Leupold VX6 1-6. From my research this is the lightest 1-6 on the market. I was considering pairing it with a lightweight Aero Precision SPR mount flipped around backwards so the scope will be centered over the ejection port.

Probably going with the nylon Wilderness Rhodesian sling as well. Lightweight and effective.

Hoping to have the rifle in hand by the weekend. Going to try to narrow down a scope choice and get that ordered this week as well. Looking forward to owning a lightweight general purpose bolt rifle!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Congrats MSparks909. I got my Ruger GSR on a whim. 16" carbon steel with the laminate stock. I put a conventional VX-3 3-9 on it and took it elk hunting a few years ago. Mostly walked around on 3 or 4 power. Ended up spooking a few elk out of their beds in the rain. Chased one down and ended up getting a clean shot on a spike. Was a great rifle for it.
    Ended up changing the configuration around a bit lately. I've tried the true scout style scopes and they never did much for me. Put a Vortex 1-4 on it and I can still hit 12" steel plates offhand at 200yds and that's good enough for me. With some 168gr match ammo it will shoot sub moa all day.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Been spot reading this thread and saw some brake conversations. I have been extremely pleased with the Dead Air Armament brake for the Sandman suppressor line. It seemed to knock a lot of the recoil out of the rifle. Very pleased with it. I always shoot with muffs and can't say I noticed any increase in sound.

Great product.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Been spot reading this thread and saw some brake conversations. I have been extremely pleased with the Dead Air Armament brake for the Sandman suppressor line. It seemed to knock a lot of the recoil out of the rifle. Very pleased with it. I always shoot with muffs and can't say I noticed any increase in sound.

Great product.
    Funny you should mention- I just put my DA brake so I could put my sandman-S and L on my scout. Without the suppressor attached the brake made a surprising difference in recoil. Of course having either sandman on there is preferable and makes for a great hunting rifle. Burris 2-7x scout scope is next to complete the package.
    IMG_0186.jpg
    Last edited by asolo; 01-02-17 at 17:10. Reason: Pic added

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by asolo View Post
    Funny you should mention- I just put my DA brake so I could put my sandman-S and L on my scout. Without the suppressor attached the brake made a surprising difference in recoil. Of course having either sandman on there is preferable and makes for a great hunting rifle. Burris 2-7x scout scope is next to complete the package.
    IMG_0186.jpg
    You stole my rifle!

That is my same setup.
    SS 16"
    Walnut stock
    Sandman L
    Burris 2x7 scout.
    Spec-Tech trigger
    Andy's leather ching sling.

I would look at the leupold before purchasing the Burris. Burris is ok, the turrets are hard to turn and don't always click. It is clear in the center, but looks very fish eye on the edges.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-02-17 at 20:30. Reason: Added trigger as mods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    You stole my rifle!

That is my same setup.
    SS 16"
    Walnut stock
    Sandman L
    Burris 2x7 scout.
    Andy's leather ching sling.

I would look at the leupold before purchasing the Burris. Burris is ok, the turrets are hard to turn and don't always click. It is clear in the center, but looks very fish eye on the edges.
    Lol. The walnut stocks seem to be pretty rare. Thanks for the heads up on the Burris- I'll check out the leup.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast