Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with stores/manufacturers/industry and 6.8?

Feedback Score
    I have had a Stag 5 for about a year and a half now, I bought mine in August of 2009, mainly becuase I allready had several AR's in 223/556 and wanted something different, at that time nobody carried 6.8SPC but after a year or so of asking most of the shops I frequent now carry it, in fact the manager and staff at one store are now building their own 6.8 rifles, they now stock 6.8 continuously as well. Realizing that this round may not last I have managed to stockpile about 1200 rounds on top of what I have shot throught it (300 rds to date). I would like to see more sshooters jump into 6.8, when that happens I think this round will really take off.

FR

Feedback Score
    I wonder how 10mm sales compare to 6.8 sales.

Feedback Score
    10mm sells much more than 6.8.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    And no one accuses 10mm of being popular.

That might explain why ATK makes 10mm but not 6.8.

Is there any way we can estimate how many rounds a year of 10mm and 6.8 are made?

The only way 6.8 will get significantly more popular is if the price comes down a bunch.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 01-01-11 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I never bought a 6.8 upper because I did not want to buy a bunch of magazines. The 300 AAC speaks to me more because I can use my current mags and bolt.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Is there any way we can estimate how many rounds a year of 10mm and 6.8 are made?
    I doubt it.

The only way 6.8 will get significantly more popular is if the price comes down a bunch.
    Price and promotion.

I see the 6.8 more of a .41 Mag. The .41 mag has more power than the .357 Mag but less recoil and blast than the .44 Mag. The 6.8 has more power than the 5.56 but less recoil and blast than the 7.62.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    It is weird how 40 S&W took off but I suppose it is only because it both made sense and the FBI adopted it.
    Actually, the .40 S&W took off long before the FBI approved it for use by its agents in individually owned pistols, and even longer before the FBI decided to issue the Glock 22 and 23.

Agencies buy far more pistols than rifles, so the hope that the 6.8mm SPC would be prolific as the .40 S&W was unrealistic from the very start. Short of adoption by the US military, the 6.8mm will always be a niche cartridge.

Feedback Score
    Funny, this thread is about 6.8, one of my absolute favorite rifle cartridges, and my absolute favorite auto pistol cartridge, the 10mm--like minds think alike
    Both rounds are good at what they do-and if you look around and maybe learn to re-load you will like both even more.
    Oh yea-funny thing is they both use the same shell holder in the re-loader setup so you are set for both

Feedback Score
    That's because the parent case for both cartridges is the .30 Remington.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I never bought a 6.8 upper because I did not want to buy a bunch of magazines. The 300 AAC speaks to me more because I can use my current mags and bolt.
    As much as I agree when it comes to spending my money in the future. I do not think .300 AAC is going to knock 6.8spc out of the picture. The main reason being in many states .223 is illegal to hunt with outside of varmints. 6.8 is legal to hunt with and more and more people are learning to use AR-15s as an all purpose rifle, with 6.8spc being out for many years now and known about in the popular imagination (future weapons, etc.) Heck Remington has a .243win AR-15 out for sale. If I thought the quaility of that rifle was worth it . . . I would probably go that route so I could have a matching bolt-action. Oh wait .300 AAC has matching bolt-action rifles too . . .
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast