Thread: "Gen 4ing" older Glocks

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

"Gen 4ing" older Glocks

I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so ill ask it here...
    I'm trying to decide between getting a Glock 30 .45ACP and a Glock 38 .45GAP, neither of which are Gen4 yet. Since the G30 uses a unique frame, I'll have to wait until a Gen4 is released, but the G38 uses the same frame as the G19 9mm and G23 .40S&W. Would I be able to buy a Gen4 G19 or G23 and swap slides and frames with the G38 without incident in order to have a Gen4 G38?
    Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I cant answer your question about swapping frames around, but I personally would skip the 45GAP round unless you reload. 45GAP, at least in my neck of the woods, is pretty hard to come by i.e. I cant remember ever seeing it.

Feedback Score
    I don't believe you could pull off this conversion as the Gen4's use a dual recoil spring and have new dimensions in the frame and slide to accomodate the new system.

Feedback Score
    45 ACP is the way to go in your question. 45 GAP is hard to find and expensive when you do find it. Cheapest box of 50 around here runs for $23.99. Besides, 45 GAP is not popular and it may never finish picking up.
    “In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.”

- Fran Lebowitz.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I don't know that I would count on the .45 GAP to survive the "gap" between itself and more common calibers. To my way of thinking if you aren't comfortable with a .45 acp or a 9mm the "gap" between them is filled by the .40 S&W. Sorry for continually using the gap joke.

I wouldn't attempt to make a 4th generation gun out of a 3rd generation gun.

All kidding aside if you prefer the proprietary .45 round from Glock either wait for the 4th gen if that's what you want or just come to terms with the 3rd.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor