Thread: MP9 front sight replacement?

Feedback Score

MP9 front sight replacement?

Rear WTS went in pretty as you plz. The front sight ..... well not quite so easy. I am concerned about applying any more force to finish the deal. I have beaten my brass drift and L index finger silly.

Before the peanutgallery starts with the preface on WTS packaging about smith installation, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
    Last edited by R.CoreyMorrow; 01-03-11 at 22:14.

Feedback Score
    If you're near Nashville I can help you with that. I have a MGW sight tool made for the M&P that makes it a snap.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post
    If you're near Nashville I can help you with that. I have a MGW sight tool made for the M&P that makes it a snap.
    Careful.

Too much pressure on the sight blade (which is how these sight tools work) can cause the sight to bend or snap off entirely. Ask me how i know.

The best way to properly install a sight is to believe it or not, bash it into the dovetail after appropriate hand fitting has been done.

Try filing a little bit of material off of the bottom of the sight until it can go a third of the way into the dovetail. Once its in approximately a third of the way proceed to bash the bastard in on the BASE of the sight, not the blade.

Feedback Score
    I carried the slide by the local fun shop. They generally don't do any smith type workso I didnt think they would be able to help. I was wrong. I know the dude who manages the shop. He took the slide in the back put it into a mepro sight press. Drifted sight in. Said after I shoot it if needs adjustment to let him know. We walk back to counter. I asked how much. He says we are good.

Now all I have to do is remove all the brass on the front of the slide.
    Last edited by R.CoreyMorrow; 01-04-11 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.CoreyMorrow View Post
    Now all I have to do is remove all the brass on the front of the slide.
    Use your favorite copper solvent and a brush. It takes 2 seconds.

Feedback Score
    Yes, don't hit the blade, it'll snap off. Ask me how I know

May need to file the sight a bit to get it to fit better. Or use a bigger hammer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see you are in NW TN. If you have occasion to get down to Memphis, Guns and Ammo will replace it on site in about 15 minutes. Cost is $15.

Feedback Score
    Just a quick question on this. Which way do you drive the front sight out of the slide? I have an M&P compact that I'm having a heck of a time removing the front sight on to replace with an AmeriGlo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Careful.

Too much pressure on the sight blade (which is how these sight tools work) can cause the sight to bend or snap off entirely. Ask me how i know.
    I use a universal sight tool and it has a small piece that fits into the dovetail so no contact is made with the blade itself.

I tried doing it with punches and drifts, but ended up slightly dinging a Warren tritium sight, so I went with the sight tool. I've done a handful of 1911's, Glocks and Sigs by hand and I swear the M&P is one of the hardest I've worked with…. getting the old ones out and the new ones in are equally hard, and this is after removing a little material from the rear Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Chayse View Post
    Just a quick question on this. Which way do you drive the front sight out of the slide? I have an M&P compact that I'm having a heck of a time removing the front sight on to replace with an AmeriGlo.
    Out from left to right and in from the right side.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 01-05-11 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayse View Post
    Left to right as you're looking at the rear of the pistol (towards the ejection port side).