Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid "Survival/SHTF" training course

Feedback Score

Hybrid "Survival/SHTF" training course

I am in the process of drafting up the TTP's for a training course that would marry traditional Survivor skills with SHTF skills. The end goal being a program that will offer a strong set of "Realistic" skills a person may be forced to imply.

The odds of needing to create fire from two sticks is not near as great as the need of siphoning fuel or trouble shooting a faulty generator. While at the same time the ability to purify water or improvise shelter is a must. .

Does anyone have any other ideas of what could be implemented or know any one that has set up something similar to this?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think that is a great idea for a "survival" course...

Where to find "abandoned" fuel and how to get access to it... One doesn't want to become a looter of another's supplies.
    How to pump out water from a well without electricity if clean surface water is not available...

I think for a shtf survival scenario, it should be BUG IN based as I think those who plan on throwing on their camo's, a back pack and hitting the woods won't last long in a REAL event...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ears on.

Thanks, Keith

Feedback Score
    Moved
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 09-22-10 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Mike, depends what level you intend to aim your course at. Firstly I would say people need the basics like rubbing sticks together before they can move through to more complicated tasks. Because if they do not understand the basics they will not be in a physical condition to undertake more complicated tasks such as generator repair should they ever be faced with a serious situation.

The basic building blocks as I was taught are:

Preparation and planning: Clothing, equipment, physical condition and multi skill training (first aid, navigation, etc). This minimises risks and dangers during a possible situation and ensures a more positive outcome.

During the situation there are 4 interchangeable priorities:

Protection: From the environment you are in and possible physical dangers.

Location: Positioning yourself to maximise your chance of rescue, defence and also survivability.

Water: You NEED to drink clean water.

Food: Eventually you will need to eat.

Within the priorities you need to include:

- emergency fire making - lighters can run out, matches can get wet,

- field water purification - including use of proprietary and improvised water purification devices,

- planned shelter building - tarps & tents,

- improvised shelter building - using differing materials for differing geographical zones,

- use of outdoor tools - knife, saw & axe,

- food preparation,

- basic plant ID.

The military spends three weeks teaching people just these basics, later there are more advanced course. I would run a two parter if I was you: Introductory skills; advanced skills. That way you will have touched on most parts with people.
    In the end, I am sure there will be a variety of course levels.

I disagree about needing to know how to rub sticks together before you can troubleshoot a generator. They are completely unrelated in every sense. Sure lighters run out and matches get wet but instead of falling back to the sticks if this happens, a person needs to simply go out and secure a new supply of alternate fire. As was stated in my opening, we are not in a the wilderness but a more realistic situation. The entire point of the course is to weed the the less practical and substitute it with the non-traditional. While there is a great possibility that we'll also offer a pure survival/wilderness course, it is not the focus of what I am discussing in this thread.

This has helped to drive home the point that I'm circling. When people think of survival training all of those traditional skills come to mind. And while I'm not saying the are not worth learning, odds are they will be called on far after other skills. How many people (this forum is a little one sided. I'm referring to general public) would be able to diagnose and repair minor malfunctions of their weapons? Being able to make educated decisions when stranded on a country road. Would you run straight to the woods, build a fire, and start tying together pine branches for shelter or rather access you situation, attempt to troubleshoot the vehicle and make expedient repairs if possible, and then follow the road to the nearest population while staying safely out of sight?

We need to be prepared to use all of our technology to our advantage and save the traditional for the extreme and playing around during camping trips.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    I think that is a great idea for a "survival" course...

Where to find "abandoned" fuel and how to get access to it... One doesn't want to become a looter of another's supplies.
    How to pump out water from a well without electricity if clean surface water is not available...

I think for a shtf survival scenario, it should be BUG IN based as I think those who plan on throwing on their camo's, a back pack and hitting the woods won't last long in a REAL event...

Rmpl
    Your dead on track with what I am working towards! Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I know what you are trying to formulate.

However, trying to teach civilians skills that professional soldiers and LEO's have been on career development courses for is not an easy matter. Added to which soldiers and LEO's build up practical experience as they move thru all levels of their career and training.

I'm not saying you should not teach basic maintenance or scavenging skills. But with Mrs Sally Paperpusher and Mr Freddy Computer-Analyst you honestly need to start with the basics. Even if it is only a couple of days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    I know what you are trying to formulate.

However, trying to teach civilians skills that professional soldiers and LEO's have been on career development courses for is not an easy matter. Added to which soldiers and LEO's build up practical experience as they move thru all levels of their career and training.

I'm not saying you should not teach basic maintenance or scavenging skills. But with Mrs Sally Paperpusher and Mr Freddy Computer-Analyst you honestly need to start with the basics. Even if it is only a couple of days.
    For the record, I teach civilians military skills for a living.

You are completely misunderstanding me. Improvised shelters and purifying water are traditional basics that will hold true in multiple scenarios. However, if a course was to be held that covered every basic drill there would be absolutely no time for the modern TTP's. Obviously, a person has to already hold a BASIC knowledge in general field craft. That is not what is being taught. What the whole idea is built around it "hybrid" training. Just as 95% of people reading this forum have an above average knowledge already.

I'm not here trying to create a doctrine to be accepted by the red cross or boy scouts. I am modifying what is old to better serve us with what is new. If I was instructing a platoon of Rangers running LRS missions I would throw in some stick rubbing. Instead, I will be teaching people living with technology how to better use it...I really didn't intend on this thread becoming a debate. Rather, I was hoping to pool the resources of like minded individuals...

Feedback Score
    I've been thinking of wrapping and frapping for a lot of problems that can come up. From building useful structures to stabilizing preexisting useful structures, you don't always have the tools to weld, screw/bolt, and attach any other way. And it works on everything from stone ax chopped wood, PVC from the ditch, pipe in the scrap pile, to scavenged angle iron off a construction site.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Take a look at Sayoc Tactical Group. I believe they are going to start offering UE&E courses in the near future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast