Thread: Fatwood wax fire cupcakes

Feedback Score

Fatwood wax fire cupcakes

http://funditor.110mb.com/wiki/index...ax_Firestarter

This is something I worked on for a bit.

They are cheap and easy to use....kinda fun to make. I would suggest a double boiler for the wax melting instead of what I used the first time....it can flame up on ya.

Feedback Score
    Good call... saw dust can work pretty well also...

Same principle... I find that I always end up with a giant pile of sawdust in the garage. So into a baggy it goes until I'm ready to make these.

Thanks for posting
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    I did something similar. I rolled up strips of cardboard and stuffed them into an old tuna can, then drenched it in paraffin. Burns like a sonofabitch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try using a candle warmer. I got mine at Goodwill for $1. they usually sell for $8 - $10. It takes an hour or two to melt the wax candle in a glass container. It's easier and less messy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My boys made firestarters using egg crates, wax, and dryer lint using THIS METHOD

They burn great.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    I've made some of those fatwood cupcake firestarters. They worked very well. I've got a large amount of fatwood (called fat-lighter wood locally) on our property.

If you really want a fire started, the fatwood will get it done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like this wilderness wiki. I'm wondering where I'm going to find fat wood shavings and I think it might not matter that much whether they are fat or lean so long as they are dry. Maybe sawdust would work just as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    very cool videos on the subject and different methods to make fire starters. so easy, a caveman can do it.
    Low Speed, High Drag Phone Operator

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    My boys made firestarters using egg crates, wax, and dryer lint using THIS METHOD

They burn great.
    Did this in the scouts with good results. Now I just keep a ziplock full of dryer lint in my fire-starter pouch with my flint and steel. My favorite way to start a fire!