Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Eyes and Zeroing Irons= Frustration

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    I would have one of the younger guys in the unit check my zero.
    I had a 21 year old friend with me at the range yesterday and his groups were awesome. However, his cheekweld, position, etc. while shooting needs only be slightly different than mine for it to effect my poa/poi. Besides, I'm not ready to give in to those young whipper snappers just yet. I can still rock with a pistol.

Feedback Score
    The irons with all of the high tech sites are for the most part just backup these days. If you and someone elses poa are the same it should be pretty close between the two of you.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB View Post
    Submariner,

If it's not too much trouble can you post a pic of both?
    I'm looking for the original... It's in a file. Somewhere...

IIRC, it is found in FM23-8 M14 and M14A1 Rifles and Rifle Marksmanship. So it is an M14 zero target.
    Last edited by Submariner; 08-21-07 at 21:53. Reason: Added M14 info
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep, terrible eye sight here too... Corrective lenses since a teen... now 41. Focus problems now developing... I'm sure they will get worse as I age...

I have given up on "irons" as any kind of primary... Magnification and Aimpoints are all I use now, even on my FAL carbine.

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    Seen these?

http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html

I haven't tried them myself yet but know of a couple guys that do use them.

Feedback Score
    I feel your pain brother. 54 here. Like some of the others here, I maintained 20/10 into my early 40's. Then had to buy reading glasses (Drug store stuff), I refuse to visit an eye doctor so far.

NOW, my long distance vision is slipping. I keep blinking my eyes, rubbing them and shaking my head, especially when Im shooting. I was using a pair of 7x35's for reviewing my groups and struggle to see the target holes at 50 yards. 100? forget about it. I can see the paper. I was shopping for a spotting scope this weekend.

I guess we will figure this out as we read each others posts about longer, brighter scopes!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder6 View Post
    I guess we will figure this out as we read each others posts about longer, brighter scopes!!
    Let me tell you about my Nightforce NXS....

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers View Post
    Getting old isn't for kids....

My vision was 20/10 until i was 50. It is 20/20 now- but i can't focus like i used to..
    This is a fact of life. It isn't fun, but that is why we seek advice.
    You're lucky, uncorrected I have worse than 20/400, (corrected to 20/20 via soft contacts). Lasik is an option for me but since the Acuvue Oasis contacts are so comfortable I've elected not to do that just yet (Murphy is a son-of-a-bitch and someone taking a knife to my eyes sounds like Murphy would be getting an invite).

I love Aimpoints, they're very fast and efficient. Until I started using Aimpoints 3yrs ago I preferred EOTechs. I think EOTechs have a purpose but I prefer the Aimpoints, they just hold up better and with a minimum of 10 times the battery life they can't be beat. I do shoot EOTechs a few 100ths of a second faster, it's just natural because I'm seeing more red faster on the target.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

irons with eyes fix

clean off all oil,get some bright [yellowish] /green jighead paint and paint your front sight ..get the 8'' shoot and see and cut in half at 50yds and zero !i hope this will help

Feedback Score
    This is another reason for graduating to an electronic red dot like an Aimpoint.

S/F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast