Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current 5.56 recommendations or cautions?

Feedback Score
    Serious SD rounds I reload! I use either 60 Vmax or 75gr Horn HPBT which are loaded to match the High priced TAP rounds! General SHTF and plinking Fed XM193!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It is all dependent on what type of environment you plan to shoot around e.g: vehicles, auto glass, unobstructed open shots, etc, etc, etc.

There are too many variables to pick one magic bullet. I think a study of DocGKR's postings on .223/5.56 ammo are some of the best resources available. *Hint* check the Stickies in the ammo forums: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

I carry the 64gr Gold Dots in my duty rifle as the are a good compromise for the environment I work in and am likely to need to make engagements in and around. They are also reasonably priced.

It is my experience from attending ballistic workshops and intel from other actual OIS incidents that the heavier 75gr Hornady TAP rounds perform good generally in unobstructed shots, but perform sub-optimally when intermediate barriers like auto glass are present. The lighter 55gr and 60gr TAP rounds wouldn't be my first choice if picking a round to shoot bad guys with. Maybe bad squirrels, but not humans.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 01-09-11 at 03:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    The cheapest "decent" ammo for most people is Federal .223 Value Packs (100 rounds) at Walmart - $39.95 (unless AIM Surplus or Wideners has some milsurp special going on).

I benched this ammo and 55 hornady red box factory ammo.

I found slightly better accuracy from the Fed ammo (which is not WWB), albeit a lower group on the target when using the same sight settings, indicating a slower speed.

Good enough to set a baseline for yourself/your gun.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    I just ordered several cases of IMI M193. I've had a stash of it for quite some time now but never used any of it. I've always heard it's good ammo. Well, for M193.
    I'm gearing up to load 1k with Barnes 55 gr. TSX and 1k with Nosler 60 gr. Partition for true SHTF ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12