Thread: Lee Anniversary reloading kit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lee Anniversary reloading kit

OK
    I just got a Lee Anniversary reloading kit and I have some ???'s

I want to reload .308 for a precision Bolt gun.
    And then move to 5.56mm to roll my own MK 262 for my AR

What dies should I get for this kit??

Also, I don't have a Manual.. what's a good one to have??

Feedback Score
    Precision Bolt Gun:

If getting a set, either Forester or Redding Bushing dies. Another option is a Redding Body Die (use when chambering gets difficult), a Lee Collet Sizing die (get another mandrel ground .001 under stock or polish the one that comes with the die) and either a Redding or Forester seater die. get the micrometer head if you intend to switch bullets and need to adjust ogive offset values (jump), otherwise just get the plain jane version and save $40.

If you go that route I recommend you also get a Stoney Point Bullet Seating gauge to adjust your seating depth. Seating depth for jump needs to be set against the ogive, not the OAL of the bullet tip since meplats/noses vary. Do not crimp.

AR:

For the .223, you'll need to FL resize your cases every time. Don't try to get by with neck sizing. Redding or Forester seater dies as recommended above, any FL resizer will work fine. I used a Lee FL resizer and runout was always very small, don't feel you need to spend an arm and a leg to get a good resizer. Obtaining proper neck tension should be one of your goals though, so if you go with a die with a conventional expander ball, you may have to polish it some to increase neck tension a couple of thousandths. Mag length will dictate your OAL for Mk 262 duplication, the SP tool won't have any value for you unless you go to VLDs and are OK with single loading and setting seating depth greater than mag OAL (2.260). Also, you need to either taper crimp or get a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Very important addition. Do not crimp and seat at the same time, allocate a dedicated die to each function.

I started on a Lee 3-headed Turret Press and added a Challenger press later on. This is before they introduced their cast iron press line. If I had to do it over I would go with the cast iron model, but the aluminum one works OK. Just make sure the handle is properly installed in the toggle links, that the links are tightened down and that your pivot points are lubed. If not, you'll crack the toggle links. Lee will replace them free of charge, but you'll have one week of downtime.

If you find yourself wanting to crank out .223 ammo, you'll need to upgrade to a progressive. Your SS Challenger will still come in handy though, don't think you'll need to retire it. I'll offer up my advice, recommendations and rationale for how to batch process using a SS and a progressive, if you're interested. That's another topic altogether.

Feedback Score
    Manual: Sierra, Hornady.

Powder Measure: What are you going to use, the Lee Perfect Powder measure? It will leak some with ball powder and can only be used in SS batch mode where you dump powder off the press. The disk measure, w/Double Disk Kit and Rifle Charging die allows automatic charging.