Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: +P In A 1911?

Feedback Score

+P In A 1911?

While it may be overkill to begin with, is it even something you want to do? Or could it ruin/hurt the gun?

Feedback Score
    No, it won't ruin the gun. I really don't think shooting +P .45 ACP will improve anything.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    No, it won't ruin the gun. I really don't think shooting +P .45 ACP will improve anything.
    I carry 165gr Corbon Pow'RBall in my Springer. Velocity: 1225fps.Energy: 550ftlbs from a 5 inch barrel. Why do you think a +P .45ACP improves nothing?
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by payj View Post
    While it may be overkill to begin with, is it even something you want to do? Or could it ruin/hurt the gun?
    In a defensive round it does not hurt anything to get the FPS up. It will tranfer into more energy foot pounds. A good quality steel frame 1911 can handle it with no ill effects . Most of us cannot afford to shoot enough +p ammo to see the long term wear of the hotter load.
    Last edited by 1911pro; 01-05-11 at 15:24.
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911pro View Post
    I carry 165gr Corbon Pow'RBall in my Springer. Velocity: 1225fps.Energy: 550ftlbs from a 5 inch barrel. Why do you think a +P .45ACP improves nothing?
    Because there's never been any credible evidence that energy means jack in terminal ballistics. Shot placement, penetration and the permanent wound channel are all that have ever been shown to matter, in that order. Unsuprisingly, you've picked a carry ammo that is pathetically lacking in penetration in favor of having higher "energy". Good luck with that if you ever need your bullet to get deeper than 7'' (or even less if it hits bone).

Anyhow, +P won't hurt a properly built 1911 at all unless you're shooting 10's of thousands of rounds of it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wesprt View Post
    Because there's never been any credible evidence that energy means jack in terminal ballistics. Shot placement, penetration and the permanent wound channel are all that have ever been shown to matter, in that order. Unsuprisingly, you've picked a carry ammo that is pathetically lacking in penetration in favor of having higher "energy". Good luck with that if you ever need your bullet to get deeper than 7'' (or even less if it hits bone).

Anyhow, +P won't hurt a properly built 1911 at all unless you're shooting 10's of thousands of rounds of it.
    I am not just basing the choice on "energy". Feet per second is a major consideration. Also how well does the round feed. What do you recommend for a carry load in a 5inch 1911?
    Last edited by 1911pro; 01-05-11 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dr. Roberts.........paging Dr. Roberts..........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911pro View Post
    I am not just basing the choice on "energy". Feet per second is a major consideration. Also how well does the round feed. What do you recommend for a carry load in a 5inch 1911?
    "Feet per second" does not matter in light for caliber shallow penetrating bullets. Whoever you shoot will not notice the difference. I would rather carry 230 grain ball ammunition than that Powrball, at least then I would get adequate penetration. The Speer Gold Dot, Bonded Winchester Ranger and Federal HST all in 230 grain provide the FBI spec for penetration (or at least very close) while expanding as reliably as a hollowpoint can using the current technology.
    Last edited by wesprt; 01-05-11 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

FWIW, Gold Dot's feed well in all my 1911's.

Feedback Score
    If even made, could the same be said with +p+ through a 1911?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast