Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: +P In A 1911?

Feedback Score
    +P .45's have been an excellent tool for showing what POS's many of the pop "tactical" .45's really are.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Have any of you guys noticed reliability problems with very hot loads? I seem to get a LOT of malfunctions using my +p handloads which push a 200gr bullet at roughly 1200fps. I'd get lots of double feeds, and sometimes the spent case would wedge itself back into the feed lips of the mag and then get clamped between the slide and the barrel. It's a rather strange phenomenon. In any case, I've decided to stick with regular loads in the future for that reason alone. And honestly, I think if a 230gr JHP going 850-900 fps can't kill what you're shooting at, you need a bigger gun.
    Last edited by jumbopanda; 01-22-11 at 04:55.

Feedback Score
    First time I shot hot loads (Federal HST) in a Colt XSE of mine I experienced the same trouble you describe jumbopanda. Put in a Wilson Combat "bulletproof" tuned extractor, propely tensioned it, added some heavy springs and now it eats any hot loads I feed it. Never had that problem again after about 500 +p's through it so far.
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 02-01-11 at 15:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Followthehollow View Post
    Many of the 10mm 1911's have problems with the frames cracking as well.

The thing of it is, the wear isn't so much from the pressure, it's from increased slide velocity. (which I suppose is a bi-product of pressure, but it isn't he pressure directly)
    No they don't. The very first Delta Elites had this problem, and it has been fixed for decades.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Springfield "loaded model" and it will not cycle Hornady TAP .45 rounds..200gr +P.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911pro View Post
    Thanks. It would have been nice if they had shown the other tests. Weird how they only show the one inch slice of gelatin freeze frame.
    Not trying to derail the thread, but just wanted to make some commentary on the slice of gelatin. Though it does not show how deep the bullet actually goes, it does show the (I call it percussion, don't know the real term) percussion and stretch caused by the bullet. Kinda like a bat hitting water. The super fast stretch after the bullet has torn through has a lot of stopping power, even if the penetration is not as deep as expected. It is similar to over stretching a muscle in that the muscle goes back into shape, but the damage (overstretch) is done. Some organs when overstretched like this do not go back to their original form.
    Last edited by 300WM; 02-05-11 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    agree with raven the minimal increases in velocity to not translate to significant changes in terminal performance. they DO translate to increased gun wear recoil blast (sometimes flash too) and cost.
    To get back to the original question a modern 1911 (not grandads WW1 surplus gun) with proper (standard weight ) recoil springs is not going to be hurt by some plus p.
    My comments above are why I think the 357 sig is a waste- about 150 fps over a similar bullet weight 9mm +p/+p+ traded for decreased mag capacity, odd bottleneck case(pain to reload) and increased ammo cost.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234