Thread: Training with smaller calibers of the same platform?

Feedback Score

Training with smaller calibers of the same platform?

The forthcoming M&P .22 full size pistol has made me wonder to what extent a pistol of the same platform but smaller caliber than your normal carry gun is effective for training. I carry a .40 caliber M&P, eventually I would also like to get a 9mm M&P and possibly the M&P .22 or a .22 conversion if/when they become available.

Obviously the more you can practice with the exact gun the better, but it seems like there would be some drills, etc. that the difference would be negligible and worth the savings in ammo. Whether the M&P .22 has the same trigger system would also make a difference, in that respect a conversion kit would be advantageous.

For the people who have guns in multiple calibers of the same platform, what type or percent of your training do you do with your carry caliber and what do you use smaller calibers or .22 conversions for?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Kimber 1911 semi-permanently converted to 22, a S&W 22 which handles like my LCR and my wife's S&W 38, a 22 converter for a SIG 226, a Spikes Tactical 22 barrel on an LMT MRP upper and at one time had a Ruger 77-22 which I traded at a huge loss because Ruger considered 8 inches at 50 to be "within Ruger specifications". I intend to get a Sako 22 bolt action which I expect to shoot better than a Ruger. All of these are for cheap practice and fun. Right now I shoot about 2 for 1, rimfire to centerfire. The converters / analogues are for training, the S&W for example is not a lot of fun but also for fun, the LMT 22 for example is a hoot.

Feedback Score
    I don't have many .22s but I shoot the crap out of the ones I have. I would like to get dedicated .22 clones of or at least conversions for my defensive guns. I'm a huge advocate for .22s for practice but it's not a substitute for trigger time with the real deal.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score

Just like dry fire...only more

Most dedicated shooters have a dry regimen that is part of their overall training program.

Sub-caliber practice with the same system is similar, but better, than dry fire; practice that comes with reduced recoil and visual results. It is like the best of both worlds. Trigger time with your weapon with feedback from the target for much less cost than with the full caliber alternative.

I have .22 conversions for all my primary weapons and use them at least 50% of the time.
    In God we trust...All others we investigate!

Feedback Score
    For certain basic skills, .22 kits can be useful. You can get good practice drawing and firing single shots, doing single shot transition drills and the like.

But once you reach a certain level of skill, dealing with .22 recoil vs. real recoil becomes an issue. They are not similar and constant practice with a .22 will limit your progress.

If you still need work on things like trigger control, sight picture and target transitions, .22 kits can be helpful. If you are trying to get your splits from .45 to .20/sec, .22 kits will be counterproductive.

I limit my use of .22 in my carbine to 50% or less and only for single shot drills. YMMV.

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 01-06-11 at 11:33. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    another thing I like is my KWA airsoft pistol. it's a pretty close replica of my glock 17. it's good for days when the weather sucks because I can shoot in the apartment.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My experience with subcaliber .22s goes way back to the '60s with the Colt Conversion Units for 1911 and the old US Springfield M1922 M2 .22 caliber rifle. Both of which were pretty popular in the Depression for the same reasons they are now.

I used the conversion unit a lot when I was shooting IPSC in the day. I later got a nice M18 S&W .22 LR which duplicated my duty revolver, and God alone knows how many cases of ammo that has seen. My latest is a CMMG conversion unit which works pretty well in my M4gery, with minor but tolerable hitches.

I probably fire subcalibers about 40-50% of the time, which means less handloading, less cleaning, and less cost. I'm a big believer in subconscious gunhandling and muscle memory. My speed isn't anything to write home about, but after all this time I'm pretty smooth and sometimes I surprise myself by what I can do without thinking about it much.

The whole idea of subcaliber training is coming back big time, with all sorts of .22 versions of guns out now that there's a market and a demand for them. They just make sense.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Funny the timing of your question. Today I went to a gun store and
    purchased an Advantage Arms Glock 19 .22 conversion kit w/threaded barrel. This my first .22lr firearm ever. I own 3 G19's
    and shoot about 250 rnds (9mm) per week. I've had training ,and
    I dryfire fairly often (Azoom caps inconjunction with a laserlyte muzzle training laser).
    My marksmanship has been increasing steadily over the months.
    That said , I went straight to the range after my new purchase
    to practice. It wasn't far into the training session that the .22
    conversion gun revealed a "flinch" that I had no idea was there
    shooting the 9mm. Dryfire w/laser I'm as steady as a rock, but
    this .22 really showed me what I was doing. It was like taking
    the ball and dummy drill to a different level. I closed my training
    session with 9mm and the results (big improvement) had me feeling
    I really accomplished something today.
    So in answer to your question, it looks like I'll be shooting .22 at least
    50% of the time, at least when doing marksmanship drills.
    Now I have to go buy another set of Ameriglow Pro-Glo sights
    to install on this baby.
    I say by all means go for that .22 S&W gun when it comes out.
    Last edited by vigilant2; 01-06-11 at 23:13.
    "Do not mistake my silence for compliance or concession,
    I most probably have simply stopped casting pearls".
    Hayden 2002.

http://fastacademy.net/wp/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the Mosquito for teaching new shooters, DA practice, blasting fun, and target transition. My other two pistols are a Sig P6 and P220, so it makes sense in those respects. The Mosquito also tends to get cranky when it gets dirty (>200rds), and so becomes handy for failure drills, too.

Centerfire practice is used for fast follow-up shot practice and other things that light recoil isn't conducive to or realistic enough for, like flinch reduction.