Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Express Vs Police.... what about Tactical

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Express Vs Police.... what about Tactical

I have reviewed the 870 Express vs Police thread.

What about the 870TAC2. I own one and am having a hard time finding the specs on it. From what I can tell it is sort of a mutt between the Express and the Police. It has the synthetic trigger guard without the ISS and is parkerized but what about:

1. Build area? Does it have its own builders or does the person assembling an 870 express jump on this line as well?

2. Springs? Mag, sear, carrier dog, etc.

3. Ball detent?

4. Does it go through the receiver honing process?

It is stamped “870 TACTICAL” on the side. BTW the Knoxx SpecOps stock is a shoulder saver when shooting slugs/buckshot, doesn’t do much for your cheek weld though.

Any info would be great, thanks.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-07-11 at 21:24. Reason: Changed title due to Remington having a Tactical line and did not want to single out version 2.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it doesn't say "Police", it's fundamentally an Express and everything normally true about expresses should apply.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It's an express varient. I prefer a blues express over a tactical... I had one and the finish peeled like mad. Not worth the premium, IMHO.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    It's an express varient. I prefer a blues express over a tactical... I had one and the finish peeled like mad. Not worth the premium, IMHO.
    Do you think your finish may have been defective? I can't imagine they have a park process for tac and another for police. I have had mine for about 4 years and it is holding up well. Has close to 2k through it, but no hard use either.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    are you SURE it's parkerized? Expresses are normally matte finished, which is fine for mild use but doesn't hold up well under abuse. Police models are parkerized for this reason. I don't recall the "tactical" models being normally parkerized. In Remington-speak "tactical" mostly means an extended mag tube and black (or tan) furniture.

Feedback Score
    Go with an 870P or an old 870 Wingmaster--the current and recent Express variants are not very robust.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Go with an 870P or an old 870 Wingmaster--the current and recent Express variants are not very robust.
    Hey Doc,

I have owned this Tac2 for about 4 years now. The only issue I get out of it is a failure to fully extract once it gets to "operating" temperature. I was more so just wondering if it received any special treatment other than the tube extension, park job, furniture and a hefty price jump. If I could have found an 870P at the time I would have gone that route, but I got impatient and figured an 870 no matter the variant can't be just garbage. I ended up getting it for $550.00 What really got me was my brother in-law was given an 870 tactical about a week after I purchased this one. He has yet to even fire it!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    According to this, it's not even parkerized, which I suspected.

Tac models are literally expresses with extended tubes and different stocks, no special attention of any sort. Not that expresses are crap, my personal 870 is an express and I have no complaints.

that said, this:
    The only issue I get out of it is a failure to fully extract once it gets to "operating" temperature.
    Alarms me. A lot. I'd send it back to Remington.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    According to this, it's not even parkerized, which I suspected.

Tac models are literally expresses with extended tubes and different stocks, no special attention of any sort. Not that expresses are crap, my personal 870 is an express and I have no complaints.

that said, this:

Alarms me. A lot. I'd send it back to Remington.
    I guess I mis-spoke. It fails to fully eject. The hull/case will extract from the chamber, it just will hang-up in the ejection port. So it will sometimes require me to tilt the gun to the right and let the hull/case fall out. This is not every round, so I may be introducing this failure.

Guess I will need to look at an 870P closer to see what a parkerized finish looks like on it. I was comparing it to my AR the other night after you posted and the AR was different. I just didn't know if it was baecause the BBL had been bead-blasted first or not. Guess it is just a black oxide finish.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-10-11 at 09:38. Reason: added comments about the park finish

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I guess I mis-spoke. It fails to fully eject. The hull/case will extract from the chamber, it just will hang-up in the ejection port. So it will sometimes require me to tilt the gun to the right and let the hull/case fall out. This is not every round, so I may be introducing this failure.
    Does this occur with a variety of ammo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast