Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real world light requirements for rifles

Feedback Score

Real world light requirements for rifles

Looking for some real world feedback (military or police) on rifle weapon lights, preferably used in the urban environment. Are you guys prefering 6v or 9v? Is 6v good enough?

I have a SF M910, but Id like to streamline my rifle and keep it as light (no pun intended) as possible. That M910 is so damn heavy.

I tried researching the topic, but couldnt find any real specific answers.

Thanks...
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I prefer the 9V M910 purely because it is what it is: super bright, built like a tank, mounts the light at the 6 o'clock position, which I think is a big plus when negotiating around corners "slicing the pie" or whatever they call it nowadays. The LED navigation lights are a bonus.

I also think the M910 is about as streamlined as you can get with a 9V weaponlight system when you consider that a separate 9V light, a mount, and a Vertical grip weigh about as much, or more. Mounting a separate 9V light and a VFG on the 6 o'clock rail is not always an option unless you have a 12" rail on you rifle, which adds weight to your rig as well.

If you dont need a 9V light for YOUR purposes, then I think a Scout light or a X200B is a nice light-weight set-up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The new switch for the X200s looks very nice as well!

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    6V is all that is needed 99.999% of the time for the type of, and distances you will be shooting in the dark.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    6V is all that is needed 99.999% of the time for the type of, and distances you will be shooting in the dark.

I tend to agree with Steve that a 6V will cover most Civy shooters needs for HD, I prefer the 9V (as long as it is small and light) because I live out in the country and want to be able to ID a target 100yds out.

The M910A is an excellent light for sure, but is on the heavy/expensive side. The other problem is if you snap the grip, you have lost both your light AND your VG...
    Last edited by STAFF; 08-11-06 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My C3 9v isn't much brighter than my G2 unfortunately so I'd have to agree with the above two comments.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    A rule of thumb I've heard that makes sense is ;

One Lumen/Yard to see the target, Two Lumens/Yard to be able to identify the target and clearly determine it is a threat.

Meaning that at one lumen/yard you can see the target well enough to get hits, but if you want to be able to clearly identify the target and determine that he is armed and a threat then double that.

So for most civilian uses a 60 - 70 Lumen light would work just fine, but being guys we will always opt for a little more, so I have a 135 Lumen light on my rifle. Keep in mind though that if this is on a weapon that will be used indoors it is very possible to go overboard with a light that is too bright. It can reflect off of white walls and mess with the vision of the user.
    "A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

450bushmaster.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBug
    Keep in mind though that if this is on a weapon that will be used indoors it is very possible to go overboard with a light that is too bright. It can reflect off of white walls and mess with the vision of the user.
    In addition to weight, this is another very valid concern of mine.
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    The last time I had to hold someone at long-gunpoint for an extended period of time, it was with a 14" 870 with beanbags. I know I need to work out more, but jeebus, my arms were ready to fall off after about 25 minutes.

On my rifle at home, I run a 6v incandescent system with an LED navigation light. On the work rifles, there is a 9v system because we patrol an area that is more suburban that urban and there are some large properties, like golf courses we've had to search. But this is specific to my department and MY NEEDS. Not everyone will need the same light or amount of light.

The M900 series is great for hopping out of the car and doing something for the next ten minutes. I know I wouldn't want it for a general patrol type rifle. Weight really becomes an issue when you are doing a long search, or a protracted car stop with 5 people inside, etc.

Bottom line is: figure out what your needs are and then try to make your equipment fit those needs. Don't buy something because Unit XXXX uses it, or it looks cool. Buy something that works for you.
    Affiliated with BattleComp Enterprises, LLC

Feedback Score
    Like Patrick A, I currently run a 9v set-up on my work AR. My patrol beat includes the periphery of an urban area, a lot of suburban construction and some quite rural stuff - that doesn't count the adjacent beats I have to go to or through. I like the "throw" of the 9v light sustem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast