Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real world light requirements for rifles

Feedback Score
    When it comes to tac lights, there's a level of satisfaction when you don't have to shoot someone because their retnas just melted.

My area is a mix of suburbs, apartments, light industry, construction and rural. I run a 9 volt light on my rifle and carry one on my belt as well.

Feedback Score
    I am tired of big, heavy, expensive, complex lights--thus I stick with simple 6v systems with push button tail caps and simple mounts: G2's in VTAC mounts, 6P's w/shock bezels in DD or VLTOR mounts, SF L4/Scount lights in LaRue mounts...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    I am tired of big, heavy, expensive, complex lights--thus I stick with simple 6v systems with push button tail caps and simple mounts: G2's in VTAC mounts, 6P's w/shock bezels in DD or VLTOR mounts, SF L4/Scount lights in LaRue mounts...
    Amen brother! I should send you out one of my WG6D lights for T&E.

C4

Feedback Score
    Well, another officer and I did some amateur experimenting with lights the other night. We had a 6P, a M910, and an L4. The M910 was definitely the best, but the 6P, in our opinion, was almost just as good. The L4 was too wide of a beam. It was the most pleasant w/in 10 yards or so, but didn't have enough throw outside of that.

We shot the beams across a field to a treeline about 50 yards away. Again, the M910 lit it up the best, but the 6P was good enough. The L4 did not illuminate the treeline at all.

I'm still a little torn on the 6v vs 9v option. I've sold off my M910, but I may grab a 9v body and play with it a little. My understanding was that a L4 and a Scout weaponlight are about the same lumens. If so, then I've pretty well decided that I don't like the short throw of LED's for a rifle.

Again, this is all just amateur talk, but it is what we experienced while working our beat (which is where it's going to matter most to us).
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been running a G2 with Shock bezel and Tail clickie in a newly acquired VLTOR mount now for close to 3 years. It's been reliable, has been thru numerous classes and thousands of rds and very reliable. My needs are being met and I'n satisfied with the 65 Lumens for my needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12