Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need input for potential carbine class

Feedback Score

Need input for potential carbine class

As many of you know I like to try new concepts in my training classes - so please provide feedback on this idea;

A carbine class (2 day) in 2008 at South Hill, Va with any intermediate caliber weapon that is NOT an AR style long gun; this would be your chance to drag out and use your Galil, FNC, FS2000, AUG, etc.

I for one would look forward to it and feel there would be alot of lessons learned on how to properly run some of these guns - just like when we did the AK classes this year; everyone learned ALOT about running an AK - myself included

Please provide feedback and if it looks like a go we will of course announce it here

Be safe

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

Feedback Score
    Lever gun.......

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Larry,

I applaud and encourage you in your desire to try new concepts for classes.

In this particular instance I'm not sure how practical this class would be. You have your AR-centric classes which cover that platform. You have your AK Course which includes Valmet, Galil, etc. Then you have your Battle Rifle which covers FAL, M1A, G3 etc.

There are so many different variations on intermediate caliber "assault" rifles that I think a two-day course to cover them would really wind up more as an exhibition than a shooting class.

My opinion, with the imminent release of 2 different AUG clones (and the subsequent price of actual Steyr guns dropping as a result) is to offer a 2 day AUG Operator's Class.

My $.02 for what it's worth, Larry.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Great idea. Although I don't own anything that would be suitable for the class, I guess I could use my 7.62x39mm Chinese (PolyTech) or Romanian (SAR1) AK.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

I know a lot of guys own things like Augs and FS2000s but have never really run them in training. I imagine a 2 day course would expose them to the particular issues whatever platform they are using has in a way nothing else would.

My only concern would be how large a base there is for such a class. Personally the only intermediate cartridge weapon I own is an AR. I don't know how many guys out there have something like an AUG collecting dust in the gunsafe who could make up the class.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great idea, it would make for a very fun & educational class.

I don’t know anybody who wouldn’t want to be on the firing line with a group of Galil, FNC, FS2000, AUG, Sig, XCR, ETC shooters.

It sounds like a blast.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    I have a SIG 556 just sitting in the safe (low prio project). I think it'd be interesting to see how it performs in a class, though.

Feedback Score
    What about a sub- intermediate or chief-transitional cartridge?

I think the M1 carbine is the most underrated, readily available defensive weapon available to the general public.

They are relatively inexpensive - $5-600 at fun shows.
    Reliable GI mags are cheap and available.
    The ammo run$ about the same price as .223 any more.
    Very easy to shoot
    Accurate enough/Good Iron sights – I’m minute of clay pigeon at 50yds all day long
    With slight pocket knife work to the stock, a sling offered by Blueforce Gear, pulls right through and attaches to the included front side sling swivel.
    As an added bonus, it is not a threatening looking weapon. If you have a travel weapon, you may be breaking city/state laws with an AR, while the little wooden gun lacking an evil pistol grip is not an issue.

(I’m not advocating anything against the law – but for those worried about TEOTWAWKI – select fire conversion is a simple drop in with un restricted parts bought at most fun shows)

Feedback Score
    oh it just figures

no sooner than i decide to get rid of the toy guns (HK SL8-1, FN PS90) in order to standardize on ar15s, somebody comes up with something fun to do with them

this is the sort of class i'd like to be a spectator at though. seriously, would love to watch it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why would those with other 5.56 rifles/carbines not just simply use them during the standard tactical class?

I just wonder if there is enough critical mass to make a class aimed specifically at non-AR rifles to be viable.

BB, good idea on the M1 carbine. The original US assault rifle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast