Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sling Mounting Question

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the hijack. I was asking WRT being able to perfrom a cross shoulder transition and because of my eye dominance issue it seems that switching hands and reestablishing a proper cheek weld helps obtaining a solid sight picture. In this context, mounting the sling at the end of the receiver seems to be a bit of a better solution than mounting at the rear of the stock and simply performing the transition w/o changing hands. Should have been more clear.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kevin - well put & photos are excellent.

Feedback Score
    I got this tip last night from Ashley Burnsed (President of Blue Force Gear) regarding easier transitioning to the weak side when I asked about this topic.

Ashley wrote immediately:

"There is actually a pretty easy way to shoulder transition with the VCAS: 1. Drop the weak shoulder out of the sling 2. pull the adjustment tab all the way to the rear (open) 3. Shoulder transition. If you can't shoulder transition with the sling all the way open and your weak shoulder dropped out - the sling is too tight."

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but seems logical.

Tack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    I got this tip last night from Ashley Burnsed (President of Blue Force Gear) regarding easier transitioning to the weak side when I asked about this topic.

Ashley wrote immediately:

"There is actually a pretty easy way to shoulder transition with the VCAS: 1. Drop the weak shoulder out of the sling 2. pull the adjustment tab all the way to the rear (open) 3. Shoulder transition. If you can't shoulder transition with the sling all the way open and your weak shoulder dropped out - the sling is too tight."

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but seems logical.

Tack
    Seems logical if you have the time, but those 3 steps to me take about 5-8secs...
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    Seems logical if you have the time, but those 3 steps to me take about 5-8secs...
    Please remember that after playing around with this, I advocate the rear of the sling be mounted at the receiver plate. From there the transition is about 1 second as Kevin B. has demonstrated on this thread.

I would think that the majority of these types of transitions would, or should be done while under cover, and preparing to enter/ clear with the weak side leading around the barricade/ corner. Hence, less exposure of the body to the threat.

Tack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Just had a conversation with someone who has seen this as a problem, and I consider them credible. I would guess its more a matter of double checking your gear, as in this case he stated he was able to give a sharp yank and pull QDs out of their mounts on more than one setup he owned. It was NOT a BFG/ VCAS sling, nor one of the BFG QD units.

Take it for whatever its worth, but I think most of us yank on anything that could possibly pull out, break, loosen, or snap ahead of time to make sure we were covering our 6.

ETA-Kevin, I had the same issues with the VCAS front fastex, and have ditched them also.
    My VCAS came without the Fastex buckle. Does anyone know if this is going to be the "Norm" for this sling based on these types of inputs?

Tack

Feedback Score
    the majority of these types of transitions would, or should be done while under cover, Tack
    That said it best... I just set my self up for worst case scenarios... Like a vehicle ambush and having to shoot under the vehicle or around the front under stress... its most certainly shooter preference but thats just me.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    That said it best... I just set my self up for worst case scenarios... Like a vehicle ambush and having to shoot under the vehicle or around the front under stress... its most certainly shooter preference but thats just me.

Make sure to read "Kevin B's' responses above to this. He is living this type of thing.

Tack

Feedback Score
    Make sure to read "Kevin B's' responses above to this. He is living this type of thing.

Tack
    Ah, I have... and I "live this type of thing too" My post was in regaurds to the procedures you mentioned above... as a "Time is life" suggestion. Kev and I use different techniques, I like to hand transistion, because I am very proficient that way and found it more useful for me and from what I have seen in my experience. Yet I have also used his method as well for certain situations which works very well.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run VCAS slings on all my long guns (personal and work). If I want to go to my non-dominate shoulder, I simply drop my shoulder out of the sling (keeping the sling around my neck). Once my shoulder is out, I dont have any problems. I've found that running the sling out isnt needed for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345