Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CNN's medical expert on Rep. Giffords' wounds

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

CNN's medical expert on Rep. Giffords' wounds

"So far, according to her doctors, Giffords is likely to be in the small minority of patients who will beat the odds. So, what placed those odds in her favor?

First off, she received very quick care, and was in the operating room within 38 minutes after arriving at the hospital. Her overall health and youth also provide some benefit. The injury was a “through and through” injury, meaning there was both an entry and exit wound. That’s significant because some of the energy of the bullet was dissipated into space, as opposed to all within her cranial cavity."

Feedback Score
    Sounds like FMJ ammo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think that the bullet stopping in her brain would have cause any more injury due to the bullet spending it's energy in the cranium. Maybe the removal of the bullet still in the cranium would have added to the injury. From what I've read the two wounding mechanisms are the crush cavity and the TC so the bullet traversing through the brain caused the TC to traverse the brain causing more trauma to the brain than if it hadn't traversed the brain.

Maybe Doc or some of the others with more knowledge can give their opinion.
    Last edited by wrinkles; 01-10-11 at 10:41.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Sounds like FMJ ammo?
    Thats what I thought. Doubt that info will be released though.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    I don't think that the bullet stopping in her brain would have cause any more injury due to the bullet spending it's energy in the cranium. Maybe the removal of the bullet still in the cranium would have added to the injury. From what I've read the two wounding mechanisms are the crush cavity and the TC so the bullet traversing through the brain caused the TC to traverse the brain causing more trauma to the brain than if it hadn't traversed the brain.

Maybe Doc or some of the others with more knowledge can give their opinion.
    If the bullet stops in the body, whether cranium or anywhere else, that tells us that all of its energy has been expended in creating the wound components (TC and CC). If it exits the body, that means that it expended at least some energy outside the body after it exited. We don't know how much and can't unless they found the bullet and identify what it hit and how hard. Knowing that, however, has no implications that would guide treatment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Regardless, we wish her a fast and full recovery. She is one of the good guys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You realize that gun forums are going to be under intense scrutiny by the anti-gun crowd because of this incident. It might not be the best idea to be discussing the ballistics of her injuries on here. CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC and all the other alphabet communist news agencies are already decrying AZ's gun laws. Just something to consider before this gets too morose, or we give them more fuel for their fires. IMO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter 9 View Post
    You realize that gun forums are going to be under intense scrutiny by the anti-gun crowd because of this incident. It might not be the best idea to be discussing the ballistics of her injuries on here.
    So, CNN can detail it but nobody else? Take off the tinfoil my friend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post

That’s significant because some of the energy of the bullet was dissipated into space, as opposed to all within her cranial cavity."

"As clearly illustrated in the relevant scientific literature over the past 20 years, kinetic energy or momentum transfer from a projectile to tissue is not a wounding mechanism."

Dr. G.K. Roberts

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    If the bullet stops in the body, whether cranium or anywhere else, that tells us that all of its energy has been expended in creating the wound components (TC and CC). If it exits the body, that means that it expended at least some energy outside the body after it exited. We don't know how much and can't unless they found the bullet and identify what it hit and how hard. Knowing that, however, has no implications that would guide treatment.
    Unless I've misunderstood Duncan McPherson's book and the other terminal ballistics literature I've read, I believe you are incorrect on this one.

Like I said the TC and crush cavity are the only wounding mechanisms and the TC should be identical if the bullet exits or not. I mention TC here because I do believe that brain tissue would be consider inelastic tissue.

Had to add all this is assuming that the projectile shape is the same for the one exiting the cranium and the one not exiting. That's to say both are non deformed FMJs or both are expanded HPs.
    Last edited by wrinkles; 01-10-11 at 22:19.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast