Thread: 14.5 versatility

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

14.5 versatility

I am thinking a 14.5" middy for 3gun and multi purpose training. I've seen others at my local matches shoot 14.5's. We only see a few shots at 200+ yrds - most is CQB.

For all around versatility, is the 14.5" a good choice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I am thinking a 14.5" middy for 3gun and multi purpose training. I've seen others at my local matches shoot 14.5's. We only see a few shots at 200+ yrds - most is CQB.

Personally if your not going to be making shots past 3-400meters, then a 14.5 is more than capable enough of doing so and since you are doing some CQB style shooting then having a 14.5 over a 16inch barrel could be benefical. I think the biggest thing to decide on is what optic you wish to run during you 3gun comp. I think a AP or EO w/ flip to the side mag would be ideal for what you described. Another option would be to go with a good 1-4x scope or even an Acog would work just fine. Anyway hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDgunslinger View Post
    Personally if your not going to be making shots past 3-400meters, then a 14.5 is more than capable enough of doing so and since you are doing some CQB style shooting then having a 14.5 over a 16inch barrel could be benefical. I think the biggest thing to decide on is what optic you wish to run during you 3gun comp. I think a AP or EO w/ flip to the side mag would be ideal for what you described. Another option would be to go with a good 1-4x scope or even an Acog would work just fine. Anyway hope that helps.
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. For optics, I'm thinking of the Acog 1.5 (tr44s-10). A nice little optic with a touch a magnification. Deliberating over the comp now. Have a BC on order, but not sure about it's effectiveness downrange. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. For optics, I'm thinking of the Acog 1.5 (tr44s-10). A nice little optic with a touch a magnification. Deliberating over the comp now. Have a BC on order, but not sure about it's effectiveness downrange. What do you think?
    I think that should be fine, the last local 3gun comp I went to I ran a my DDM4 with Leupold CQ/T... with standard A2 birdcage. The setup work just fine for me. So I diffenently think you are on the right track. Another thing you will want to think about is what sling you are gonna run. I run the MS2 on most of my ARs.

Feedback Score
    With various transitions (strong-to-weak side transitions, rifle-to-sidearm transitions, etc.) probably being common your sling choice would definitely make a difference. A 2-point sling with a rear endplate mount and a front mount in front of the receiver OR a single point would probably be ideal for your uses.

I will echo DD on all other points.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDgunslinger View Post
    I think that should be fine, the last local 3gun comp I went to I ran a my DDM4 with Leupold CQ/T... with standard A2 birdcage. The setup work just fine for me. So I diffenently think you are on the right track. Another thing you will want to think about is what sling you are gonna run. I run the MS2 on most of my ARs.
    I am looking to set up a MS2 pretty soon. For now, I have a workable 1 point sling. My 3guns don't have much sling transitions. We barrel our rifles, then transition. Thanks

Amongst Ospreys, Chickenheads, and all manner of strange creatures.
    Feedback Score

The 14.5 is extremely versatile. It is the length of issue M4s for the military and we use them for everything from clearing rooms to 600 yd engagements in an open desert environments. With a mid-length gas system, it is really soft shooting on top of all that.
    "If you cant f**k it, frag it...." ~ Dad
    Who are you, and where are you going with that stapler?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    You might want to rethink the optic. A true 1X is going to be a lot better for the closer stuff but a 1.5X won't be that much better for the rare 200 yard shot. Actually it's pretty damn easy to hit out to 300 with the 1 MOA dot on an Eotech, and even a 4MOA dot on an Aimpoint isn't a very tough shot at that range. If you're shooting mostly close targets get the sight that works best for close targets. As always just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    You might want to rethink the optic. A true 1X is going to be a lot better for the closer stuff but a 1.5X won't be that much better for the rare 200 yard shot. Actually it's pretty damn easy to hit out to 300 with the 1 MOA dot on an Eotech, and even a 4MOA dot on an Aimpoint isn't a very tough shot at that range. If you're shooting mostly close targets get the sight that works best for close targets. As always just my opinion.
    I hear ya. I've got an Eo now and have little to no problem gonging at 250. I've been thinking a "little" magnification would speed me up, help me see the target a bit better, improve overall speed. Ive shot one at 100 and it's a noticeable difference. I'm just tinkering with the idea.

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong with a 14.5 BUT most dedicated 3 gun rifles have rifle length gas systems as they shoot softer.

14.5s are handy, particularly around some props, but that is usually only an advantage for a very limited number of shots in your typical 3 gun match. That advantage is typically outweighed by the advantages of the longer barreled guns: softer shooting, more velocity, longer handguards.

I would NOT go with that 1.5X optic as it will be up against the 1-4X,1-6X and now 1-8Xs in Tac Scope Division. You are better off sticking with your Eo and shooting in what is being called Tac Limited. Or if you want to give Trij money, buy a TR24.