Thread: Debating a new upper.

Feedback Score

Debating a new upper.

Well after running my upper I have come to find a few things I do not like about it. Namely I am not a big fan of how front heavy it is. Currently I am running a DSA mid length with MOE handguards and now I am looking at getting a BCM 16 in light weight upper. My problem is BCM and G&R are now sold out and BCM says they will not be restocked until late spring. However, right now they do have the BFH and I was wondering if I should wait or go with the BFH

Feedback Score
    I think you could go either way but a $90 premium for the BFH is a pretty good deal. Another option that I would look at are DD custom uppers which can be purchased from grtactical or smartgunner.com although I think smartgunner is currently out of the custom uppers. Both of these options should cost in the high $300 to low $400 range for a basic upper without the BCG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am in the same boat. I have a BCM middy with a TRX Extreme 9" FF tube, a fixed FSB, and a Smith Vortex. That is heavy enough by it's self, but after I strap on my SF 961 (another beast) and Magpul RVG I am not feeling too good about life.

After building a 16" carbine for my ex wife with just MOE handguards, I have to say I am really rethinking this whole mid length decision. Maybe I just need to hit the gym and man up, but I tell ya' that carbine upper sure feels comfortable.

If weight is your main concern, don't go 16" BFH middy. You will not be changing your complaint. I think DD has a hammer forged LW middy that would be worth a try.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    I am in the same boat. I have a BCM middy with a TRX Extreme 9" FF tube, a fixed FSB, and a Smith Vortex. That is heavy enough by it's self, but after I strap on my SF 961 (another beast) and Magpul RVG I am not feeling too good about life.

After building a 16" carbine for my ex wife with just MOE handguards, I have to say I am really rethinking this whole mid length decision. Maybe I just need to hit the gym and man up, but I tell ya' that carbine upper sure feels comfortable.

If weight is your main concern, don't go 16" BFH middy. You will not be changing your complaint. I think DD has a hammer forged LW middy that would be worth a try.
    I think you are right that if I went with a government profile my complaints wouldnt change. I meant to say that I was thinking about the light weight BFH upper from BCM which is in stock. I just weighed my current set up and its weighing in at 8.5 lbs with most of the weight is at the front. I will take a look at the DD upper though smartgunner and see if I can find one to fit my budget.
    Last edited by durus5995; 01-11-11 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by durus5995 View Post
    I think you are right that if I went with a government profile my complaints wouldnt change. I meant to say that I was thinking about the light weight BFH upper from BCM which is in stock. I just weighed my current set up and its weighing in at 8.5 lbs with most of the weight is at the front. I will take a look at the DD upper though smartgunner and see if I can find one to fit my budget.
    I was unaware that BCM was making BFH LW barrels until now, so I do apologize.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Centurion arms also offers light weight barrels that are hammer forged.

www.centurionarms.com
    Last edited by Militant83; 01-11-11 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    Well thanks for all the help guys. I decided to suck up the extra $90 and go with the BCM 16in light weight mid length with the BFH barrel. Hopefully I will not have to re buy an upper again in the future.

I do have one question. I have an LMT BCG in my current upper and its has seen perhaps 300 rounds or so should I worry about re using the bolt in the new upper?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by durus5995 View Post
    Well thanks for all the help guys. I decided to suck up the extra $90 and go with the BCM 16in light weight mid length with the BFH barrel. Hopefully I will not have to re buy an upper again in the future.

I do have one question. I have an LMT BCG in my current upper and its has seen perhaps 300 rounds or so should I worry about re using the bolt in the new upper?
    300 rounds should be just fine if you are going to keep your BCG. Some would say no, don't do it. They could be right (and probably are in the long run), but look at how many uppers are sold on the EE with no BCG or CH.

Feedback Score
    Well I just wanted to update my post. I just got home from work and tore apart the box with my new upper and got it all installed. I ended up weighing my old upper on an analog scale and she was weighing in at about 9 lbs. Now I am officially down to about 7.9 or so. The difference really is night and day. Now I can actally get my rifle to balance all by its self on the butt stock. Before if I tried such a thing it would have toppled over in a second.
    Last edited by durus5995; 01-14-11 at 15:55.