Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: New SCAR accessories from Tango Down

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    Received both parts today. Installation took a couple minutes max. The charging handle is obvious to anyone who's field-stripped a SCAR. Had to look at the stock latch, but it was readily apparent I just needed to push down on a detent at which point it popped out fairly forcefully (along with the spring under it).

The TangoDown part is almost imperceptibly different. It seems to have a slight curve and a very slightly rougher texture, beyond that it looks identical--other than being made of metal rather than polymer. The charging handle I'm not completely sold on yet, it seems a bit tougher to grab easily and since I'm running a Aimpoint micro I haven't really had an issue before. I may switch it back if it seems tougher to grab. Here's a crappy pic of both installed:
    I was thinking the same thing about the handle after I installed it. I might try and flip it so it is bent upwards... Not sure how that will work yet...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    Received both parts today. Installation took a couple minutes max. The charging handle is obvious to anyone who's field-stripped a SCAR. Had to look at the stock latch, but it was readily apparent I just needed to push down on a detent at which point it popped out fairly forcefully (along with the spring under it).

The TangoDown part is almost imperceptibly different. It seems to have a slight curve and a very slightly rougher texture, beyond that it looks identical--other than being made of metal rather than polymer. The charging handle I'm not completely sold on yet, it seems a bit tougher to grab easily and since I'm running a Aimpoint micro I haven't really had an issue before. I may switch it back if it seems tougher to grab. Here's a crappy pic of both installed:
    Does the handle rattle like the stock one?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Does the handle rattle like the stock one?
    I didn't really pay much attention last night. When I get home tonight, I'll do a quick subjective comparison of the two and report back.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It rattles a little. I have put mine in the upper position on the left side. With it positioned downward I hit my knuckle on the barrel trunion. Angled up, it is very HK-like.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I compared the stock charging handle with the TangoDown one again. It rattles a bit but certainly less than the stock one.

I also decided after popping an Aimpoint 3X magnifier on (and consequently having to move my H1 forward) I prefer it to the stock handle. At first I wasn't sure, but after a few manipulations with each, I decided it was much easier to rack the gun without smacking my knuckles into the Aimpoint mount when using the TangoDown version. I have it mounted on the left, angled downward. I don't have the problem Hootiewho mentions of hitting the trunion. I tried mounting it angled upward but it actually made it almost impossible *not* to hit my knuckles against the mount that way. Not sure if I think it's worth quite what TangoDown is asking for it, but it's a definite improvement over the stock one IMO.
    Last edited by zacbol; 10-13-11 at 22:44.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I installed the charging handle and stock latch recently myself. The stock latch is a no brainer (although I recommend pushing the detent of the old plastic one down when you have a nice large backstop in front of you...that and the spring came storming out of there in a hurry.)

I'm a big fan of the latch, but I'm ambivalent on the charging handle. I'm leaving it on because the stock one is inexcusably chintzy on a $3k rifle, but the stock one actually felt a little better on the fingers. The TD one is a little too thin, IMO.

Some enterprising soul made a very nice aluminum charging handle that had some roundness and mass to it, but that was in limited quantities, and a while back. I've seen some SCARs on here with them installed, and if anybody ever mass produces something like that, I think my TD one will end up on the EE.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronFitz View Post

I'm a big fan of the latch, but I'm ambivalent on the charging handle. I'm leaving it on because the stock one is inexcusably chintzy on a $3k rifle, but the stock one actually felt a little better on the fingers. The TD one is a little too thin, IMO.

Some enterprising soul made a very nice aluminum charging handle that had some roundness and mass to it, but that was in limited quantities, and a while back. I've seen some SCARs on here with them installed, and if anybody ever mass produces something like that, I think my TD one will end up on the EE.
    Agree on all counts. The angle is pretty good but the grasping surface is pretty small. I will have to use it some more to pass my final judgement.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    Agree on all counts. The angle is pretty good but the grasping surface is pretty small. I will have to use it some more to pass my final judgement.
    I shot a bit on Friday and didn't find the smaller surface to be an issue. I think I like it better, but I need a bit more time with it for a final verdict. That said, I had to move my Aimpoint and magnifier back a little further than I would have liked (when I put my 3x on, I had to move the R1 forward a fair bit from the above photo) because I was hitting my knuckle on the ADM mount if not careful.
    Last edited by zacbol; 10-17-11 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just waiting on the side rails, wasnt too excited about the other parts currently available but I guess its a start.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011