Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Military/Tactical Watch Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    rpd07 your points, even your "brash" ones are well taken. It's the same old question that applies to pens & sunglasses too (and sometimes even knives). One argument is that you should buy cheap, and buy in bulk, and not worry about the breaking/losing of an expensive item. However, for some guys simply knowing that it's an expensive item helps keep them from abusing/losing it, and an expensive watch on the wrist is better than a spare cheap watch back at home when the one you're wearing breaks/disappears.
    RPD, your points are very well taken. And Rob really sums up how I feel about my next watch. My cheapo CRKT knife (it may be a fake, but I digress) keeps being lost because I don't care for it. I think that if I spend enough on a watch I can better take care of it.

Feedback Score
    Ah. My opinions come from working in an environment where I can't really choose how to treat my watches at all.

Feedback Score
    Another G-Shok fan here. I bought my first (basic model) back in '86 and the battery lasted until '02. The I went with Victorinox which eats batteries. Then my wife gave me my current G-Shok back around '05, model GW-300 atomic/solar powered. I don't think they make the model any longer but mine runs great. The one issue is it doesn't have a count-down timer (probably why it is now extinct)

The big plus for me is it has a large display!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpd07 View Post
    Ah. My opinions come from working in an environment where I can't really choose how to treat my watches at all.
    You will find that any attempt to make [normal] people understand the things you have learned from your specific experiences will be a waste of time, especially here.

Tactical gear has become fashion over function; more theory based than actual first hand knowledge.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    You will find that any attempt to make [normal] people understand the things you have learned from your specific experiences will be a waste of time, especially here.

Tactical gear has become fashion over function; more theory based than actual first hand knowledge.
    I've actually been begging for, and have received, firsthand knowledge on this thread. I will use this firsthand knowledge in my decision making process. I'm strongly considering OCS after graduation in August so this will be more than just a fashion watch.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    rpd07 your points, even your "brash" ones are well taken. It's the same old question that applies to pens & sunglasses too (and sometimes even knives). One argument is that you should buy cheap, and buy in bulk, and not worry about the breaking/losing of an expensive item. However, for some guys simply knowing that it's an expensive item helps keep them from abusing/losing it, and an expensive watch on the wrist is better than a spare cheap watch back at home when the one you're wearing breaks/disappears.
    I guess I'm the old guy here - Rolex Submariner. Overseas PX catalog in the early 80's; multiple deployments and it has more jumps than lots of troopers I know. No loss, no damage......................
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
    I guess I'm the old guy here - Rolex Submariner. Overseas PX catalog in the early 80's; multiple deployments and it has more jumps than lots of troopers I know. No loss, no damage......................
    Someone definitely missed the budget part of the OP

It'll be a while before a Rolex is on my to-do list

Feedback Score
    I will when I'm not a student and when I'm working.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    Someone definitely missed the budget part of the OP
    You sir are correct, Sorry...........................
    Hey, I said I was old!!
    Last edited by Ranger325; 01-25-11 at 19:25.
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You sir are correct, Sorry...........................
    Hey, I said I was old!!
    No worries, it's a beautiful watch!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast