View Poll Results: Want a SC Training Group?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, about time.

32 100.00%
  • Training Group?, We don't need no stinking Training Group.

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SC "Palmetto State" Region Train Forum

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I'd be interested. Like previously stated, a place to hold this was/is the kicker.

Keep us posted.

Scoby

Feedback Score
    Interested! Im down in GA for school but come home to upstate SC many weekends and all my breaks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    OK Guys, just to let everyone know where I am at. I have gotten permission to use a range in Anderson, Skip J; but with one little stipulation, it will need to be run as though I am teaching a class. The range charges $10/head for attendees.

The problem I am having in getting ranges is that they want you to be a certified NRA instructor (so that you carry the instructors insurance, which I have). I can understand this, but would you guys have a problem with chipping in the $10 to the club is my question?

I am still working on other places that would give us more room, but atleast for now we have a range squared away.

So when would you guys like to do this? I personally would not mind waiting until it warms up a little, say mid-March-April.

Also, the carbine bay at Skip J is rather narrow, so would you guys be interested in a pistol meet to begin with, unless I can find a more suitable range for the carbine work in the mean time?

One last thing; Skip J has a pretty good IDPA match the 1st Saturday of the month. They have just started a "tactical type" shotgun match I think the 3rd or 4th Saturday of the Month as well; so if any of you upstate guys want to come out, feel free to as there will be a IDPA pistol match this Sat. I am going to try and be there myself.
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 02-03-11 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    OK Guys, just to let everyone know where I am at. I have gotten permission to use a range in Anderson, Skip J; but with one little stipulation, it will need to be run as though I am teaching a class. The range charges $10/head for attendees.

The problem I am having in getting ranges is that they want you to be a certified NRA instructor (so that you carry the instructors insurance, which I have). I can understand this, but would you guys have a problem with chipping in the $10 to the club is my question?

I am still working on other places that would give us more room, but atleast for now we have a range squared away.

So when would you guys like to do this? I personally would not mind waiting until it warms up a little, say mid-March-April.

Also, the carbine bay at Skip J is rather narrow, so would you guys be interested in a pistol meet to begin with, unless I can find a more suitable range for the carbine work in the mean time?

One last thing; Skip J has a pretty good IDPA match the 1st Saturday of the month. They have just started a "tactical type" shotgun match I think the 3rd or 4th Saturday of the Month as well; so if any of you upstate guys want to come out, feel free to as there will be a IDPA pistol match this Sat. I am going to try and be there myself.
    That's pretty fair for a day of shooting, honestly.

Yeah, I'd definitely be willing to pay that.

March/April sounds good.

Supposedly there's ice coming down somewhere in the Upstate right now, I have no desire to get out in that crap. I would, I went golfing out in about 30-40 degree weather last month. It wasn't bad when it hit about 42-43, but it was pretty miserable until about 11-12, then it started getting cooler again about 3-4.

Once a consensus is reached, post a day, and I'll get it off from work.

Thanks for doing this.

Feedback Score
    Agree, fair price. Any thoughts on a course of fire? I'm more of a Thunder Ranch (Tiger McKee trained) guy. I'd be very interested to see what folks who have trained elsewhere (Pat Rogers) bring to the table.

On a different note, anybody trained with Presidio? Seems to be a decent bunch of guys and I can always use a basic course.

http://presidiodefense.com/home.html

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Guys, I a bit of a disclaimer is in order:

I originally went through the process of getting my instructor's certs to teach some volunteer classes at my gun club, as that is what they required. Watching guys' shooting and gun handling at matches, some had not a clue. I am forever grateful of those who help me along, so I wanted to pass it on so to speak. This was last year.

I then thought I might as well start an SC Training Group as frankly I was tired of waiting on someone else to do it, so I began looking for ranges before I even started this thread. This was all set in motion, but life is funny sometimes and I have just recently had a huge opportunity that I could not turn down, so I rolled with it. I made a commitment to my local range to teach a few free classes, and I made a commitment to myself to get a SC Training Group going before this other even came into play, and I intend to see it through.

The disclaimer is I have been lucky enough to be brought on as one of Larry Vickers' REI's and will be teaching his VSM Basic Pistol and Carbine classes, along with CWP, and NRA classes later on this spring as well. This has nothing to do with the training group, as the training group was started 1st, but I do hope that the training group will help build a sufficient base of shooters to be able to host LAV as well as a few others down this way in '12.

Thank you again for your support in getting this started.
    Last edited by Hootiewho; 02-04-11 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    HootieWho,

Thanks for heading this up. I would definitely be interested in taking part in this. I just posted in your VSM thread and I'm glad to hear that a regional training group is still on the table as well.

My spring work schedule is balls to the wall 6 days a week March thru May, so Sunday afternoons are my only free time. After that, my schedule opens up quite a bit especially on the weekends. I may have to miss the first meet but hopefully can start attending by late spring, early summer.

Feedback Score
    Let us know when you get your training schedule set. Couple of friends and I would like to attend.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Guys I had posted about an IDPA match at SKIP J tomorrow, I just got an email that the range canceled due to the rain and the range road being a mess. Just a heads up

To the others, we'll definitely try to get enough meets to get everyone involved at some point.

Feedback Score
    Charleston here. Maybe we could do a formal show up and shoot at a public range on an odd day or very early.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast