Thread: Interesting mag malfunction

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Interesting mag malfunction

Yesterday myself and a buddy were shooting our Glock 17's and his 1911 at the range. Then we started shooting the 1911, a lightly customized Colt. He was having mag problems at earlier sessions so I gave him one of my WC 8-rounders so he could have a "reliable" magazine.

As I was shooting his 1911 it appeared to eject two pieces of brass at once and the slide locked to the rear. What had happened was that the fired case was extracted and ejected and the last round popped out of the magazine with such force that it followed the trajectory of the spent case, flying through the air right on its brother's tail.

The fired brass had been slightly crushed and chipped at the rim, I presume from being pushed against the barrel hood. I retrieved and fired the remaining round. I told my buddy he could throw my gift in the trash.

I have had incidents with these magazines where the last round popped out but remained sitting on top of the follower and lip. It was really weird that it shot out of there with such force, I'm sure recoil contributed but dang.

This will probably sound stupid to some, but I run 100 rounds through each mag before employing it. This rule is out the window, as 100+ was insufficient to bring this to light.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this story out there.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Feedback Score
    I have seen this same malfunction, but it could be attributed to ammo with very short overall length. One round in particular that exhibited this problem was the old CCI/Speer 200 grain JHP "the flying ash tray". Wilson would replace that mag if it was defective.

Billy
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now I regret shooting that round without inspecting it first. Better luck next time.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton