Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum Effective Range of an SBR

Feedback Score
    sure but my point is that with all the folks in iraq using m4s, I wouldn't think the effective range would be a big mystery

Feedback Score
    I'd bet that most members here are referring to the sub-12" barrels when referring to SBR's. Most of the SBR discussions seem to center around the 11.5"/10.5" guns. Personally, I wouldn't waste the time/money to buy a tax stamp for a 14.5" barrel...but I've spent a small fortune on tax stamps for the shorter guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While you can use a mk18 effectively at longer ranges, ~400m that I am aware of..., its not the weapon of choice.

Bullet Placement is part of the equation - but at longer ranges, and the lower velocities the 5.56mm is not going to act like it does in close - so your .22 cal hole in AliBaba is a little less effective than a large chuck of fragmented chest.

Most SBR's are not scoped for engaging out past 200m - bullet drop, wind and tgt detection and the adjustment of splash are going to come into play.

Lastly just cause you get a good result at long range (for a SBR) on one tgt does not mean its going to translate into the next tgt's. SBR's are chosen for a mission - units issued them tend to be DA specific - or at least use SBR's when doing DA's and use other weapons when doing other missions. Cardinal rule - use the longest barrel you can get away with to do the job...
    I have a 10.5" a 14.5" and a 16" middy on my wall (plus a FN) and I carry the 16" since I can get away with is in my role. I dont like to be constrained into a SBR unless I need it.

* if your using a chopped 7.62x51 - best bet is a 155gr AMAX.
    Doc Roberts can over more.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
    I was wondering if any knew the effective (the ability to knock down a BG)range of an SBR?
    No rifle will 'knock down a BG' (unless it fires Mack trucks) otherwise it would also knock the shooter down (pure physics).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12