Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

My son (24 years old) is considering an approximately 2000 mile thru-hike that would start at the Northern end of the Florida trail and work North to and then along the Appalachian trail; essentially, a portion of the Eastern Continental Trail. The intended timeline is to start in Florida not too long from now and work North, hiking into the warmer weather. My son is an experienced hiker, and he is doing his own research into the terrain, route, suggested equipment, required permits, etc. I have implicit faith in his common sense and his abilities, and I am sure he can figure this out on his own. That having been said, I know this forum's membership has a lot of expertise in the area of wilderness survival, so I thought I would see if I could tap into it.

With all that in mind, I would be very appreciative of any advice as to:

• essential equipment
    • optional equipment
    • information resources (online or print)
    • recommended reading
    • general preparedness
    • supplies
    • first aid
    • other

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

3 things

Pre loaded debit/CC card for emergencies(also some stashed cash)

Sat. phone

GPS

Everything else is common sense based on route/terrain/physical limits.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll look into the sat. phone. That's one thing I hadn't thought of.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Hey

On sat. phones I think some outfits will rent them or lease them. Also, another thing to think is a locator, like a backtrack locator http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-BackT.../dp/B0024UJ762 or the emergency locator http://avantehandsfree.com/spot1emer...-50rebate.aspx

Cheers
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You don't need a sat phone.

Get a Technicians liscense and a good 2m HT. That will give you great coverage from the trail.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll look into the locator and 2m HT as well. These are great suggestions since my own biggest concern is what happens if he's injured in a remote location. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

No worries

HM is right, I just use a sat. phone because it is easier for me, LOL. But yeah when it comes to your life or life of loved ones never skimp on quality and better to be over prepared than under prepared.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I saw a good documentary on this last week. It covers everything from hiking a couple days to thru-hikes. The trail itself is maintained and marked very well by volunteers year round. Make sure you register as a thru-hiker. There is a time limit, something like 6 months. Only a quarter of all who attempt it succeed because many don't realize the mental toughness it takes to hike that distance.

One point that was emphasized was over packing. There is a small store on the trail itself in Georgia I believe. The man that runs the store makes a small fortune every year shipping excess gear back home for hikers who brought too much junk with them.

Money is key on a thru-hike. There are many small towns along the way and most hikers will need money for meals and hotel fees. After several days on the trail, a shower makes life a little more bearable for you and others around you.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...-3591/Overview

Looks like it will be airing again Jan. 18. Check it out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. I don't have cable but I'll see if we can find it online. It looks like there's some interesting info on the NG site.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast