Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Here is some more info: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...a_ThruHike.htm

You may want to call them for more details. A better route is to look on the internet and see if you can get in contact with someone who has hiked the entire trail.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. My son has been looking at those sources for both the Florida and Appalachian trails. There are forums and websites that are devoted to them that seem to have pretty good info, including updates from people who have done the hikes, gear suggestions, etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I walked a 400+ mile section of the Appalachian trail last spring and had a lot of lessons learned in terms of long distance foot travel, averaging about 20 miles per day. It took me about a month to get from harpers ferry West Virginia to Central park in New York City.

I used a Mystery Ranch 3-day assault pack (2000 cubic inches) for my bag which was a little on the small side, but with a minimalist approach I was able to cram everything I was carrying along with me just fine. (28lb's with food for 5 days). Outside and Backpacker magazine have good starting points for thru-hiker packing lists. I slept in a hammock on most nights but spent some nights at shelters.

It was a very interesting experience to say the least.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    get him a SPOT beacon.

and a solar charger, if he doesn't already own one.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 01-17-11 at 17:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hiked along with a friend and he carried a SPOT beacon and it was definitely worthwhile in our minds to know that we could reliably put our our location to rescue, and some friends of ours were following our progress just for fun.

I wouldn't worry about a satellite radio or Ham radio, I had perfectly good sms/phone service for almost the entire duration of my trip and even had data service for the most part. I used a blackberry with removable lithium batteries unlike Ipyhone and also 2 extra batteries to extend my range. Sometimes I would use it to play streaming music in camp for a little while.

I started with a Solio solar charger but it's not very useful on the appalachian trail, you're almost always walking in the woods and I could never really generate a meaningful charge. You're better off just carrying the amount of AA batteries you will need. Resupply isn't really an issue for the most part.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carry a 2m Yaesu VX-170 when I am on the trail. I know of several places on the trail where I do not have cellular coverage in Southwest Virginia. The Lynn Camp section for instance, is quite down in the hole and even on the ridgetops there, you have zero cellular coverage. The radio is ruggidized to mil standards and is immersion proof to three feet.

The 2m always can raise at least a couple of repeaters on just the rubber duck antenna. On a roll-up J-Pole, you are golden.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-17-11 at 18:23.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

VMI-MO Guest
    Tell him to become proficient with "self surgery" (fixing your own medical problems)

Learn as much info on this website as possible

Make sure, mentally he knows what he is getting into. A week long hike does not compare to 2000miles.

Have him start training for it. He has to learn how to read what his body is telling him.

Sanity check/red cell his plan.

PJ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys. This is all helpful info. I never heard of the SPOT beacon before.

ETA: I'll point him toward the footcare website also. I think I am also going to need to do the research on the equipment, trails, etc., as well as him. The more information you guys throw out there, the more I realize that I want to really understand what's involved in this undertaking myself.
    Last edited by Erik 1; 01-17-11 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    The SPOT beacon has a monthly fee i think. They seem kinda cheap too.

This is expensive but there is no monthly free and it goes to a national free sat/gps emergency network run by the military.

http://www.rei.com/product/804323

there is a cheaper one that doesnt TX an "all is well" with coords.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 1 View Post
    Thanks guys. This is all helpful info. I never heard of the SPOT beacon before.
    very cost effective, basic emergency protection-
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

you're doing right looking into it yourself. at 24, he might very well be a hiking/climbing god, and he may have a great head on his shoulders, but he's still young and ambitious and could very easily not fully grasp the undertaking he's considering and get in over his head. at about 21, 22, i'd decided i wanted to hike the PCT (pacific crest trail), over on the west coast. my parents knew i was a fairly experienced backpacker/woodsman, but encouraged me to REALLY make sure i understood the undertaking. after doing more and more research, i realized that it just wasn't something i was prepared for. and i was a pretty damn head-strong, stubborn, invincible, etc kid.

also, if its anything like the PCT, the AT will also require a support network to resupply him along the way. on the PCT, for instance, there are several places where you won't find palatable water for weeks at a time- you MUST have someone leave water for you at road crossings, and at appropriate times, as well as food and whatever else you need. etc.

i'm not in any way trying to discourage- just offering what i can.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 01-17-11 at 19:34.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast