Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Water shouldn't be an issue on the AT if you are willing to carry a bit. It tends to be fairly abundant in the east, especially every season but the heart of the summer and there are always groups that leave potable water at trailheads(trail magic) when a pure sorce is hard to find.

I can almost always find a 1st order stream away from a developed area to use as a water source.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-17-11 at 19:47.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Just FYI, No one has ever walked the full length of the Great Wall of China. Several have tried.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll pass that on, in case it's his secret plan. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I appreciate all the input, including (especially, even) the stuff that might be considered discouraging. Assuming he decides to do the hike, I want him to go into it as prepared as possible.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps having him contact a physician who specializes in treating triathletes and endurance racers would not be a bad idea.

He may gain some wisdom and avoid some mistakes that other athletes have made.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks. That's an interesting suggestion.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I missed it and it's been said, but he really shouldn't go alone.

You can have all the beacons, radios, food, & shelter you can carry. But if you become unresponsive none of this is going to do you any good. Any such treks should always be done in pairs if not more. It leaves an able body to assist is something happens to the other person in the party.

By the time some body realizes he's in trouble it's too late. Not trying to be negative just realistic, 2,000 miles isn't a small trek and he will sustain injuries. So like I said again, he needs to find a partner to join him.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    Ok, I had to join just for the FAIL in this thread.

First off, your son does not need any 2m, sat phone, SPOT, partners, guns, years of training, or whatever else the crazy people who have never hiked beyond their backyard says he needs.

First: I have NOT completed a through hike of 2000 miles. I have EXTENSIVE back country back packing experience. In remote areas outside of the US.

He's hiking through AMERICA. He's hiking (hopefully) on well documented and extensively traveled trails. He can keep in plenty of contact with a simple cell phone. A simple text or call with his route plan every day or two is fine. He's not going to slide into a crevasse, or be mauled by bears, wolves, or cougars on that route! IF he twist an ankle, AND he can't get cell reception he waits a couple hours for the next hikers to come by and help him out. (caveat: When I am hiking in actual remote areas or on a route with a higher risk factor I carry a REAL 406mhz beacon, a McMurdo Fast Find)

ALONE IS FINE, he'll meet tons of friends. The past two years, I've hiked the Alta Via 1 in Italy with some friends. Each year we've linked up with other solo/ pair hikers and made some great friends. There are plenty of girls that hike the back country solo without issue.

What does he NEED to do?
    Pre trip:Plan his route smartly with realistic daily mileages. Obtain the best maps recommended for his route and know how to read them.

On the trail: Take care of his feet and intake enough calories to stay healthy and not damage muscle. Use some common sense, and most importantly HAVE FUN.

(my personal rant, feel free to ignore)
    SO WHAT IF HE WALKS 2000 miles? Was it an epic experience? Did he meet friends he'll keep in touch with? Does he have all sorts of great stories to share? If not I'd say he wasted 3 months of his life.
    (rant over)

Hopefully, if he's contemplating a trip of this length. (Realistically he should be planning 3-4 months.) He's got some hiking experience and got a basic idea about footwear, gear etc.

If not there are some great resources on the web, from people who actually have made hikes of this length.
    white blaze is mostly Appalachian centric, but has some great stuff. Check out their packing list.

Most importantly he has to set a date to leave and do it!

Cheers

Vince
    Last edited by serevince; 01-23-11 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Jesus in heaven.

Mail drops and a good pair of boots.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...Mail_Drops.htm

Come on, guys. He's not going to Somalia.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    First off, your son does not need any 2m, sat phone, SPOT, partners, guns, years of training, or whatever else the crazy people who have never hiked beyond their backyard says he needs.
    The please explain what ****ing wilderness area exactly I was in with my 2 meter radio backpacking yesterday that constitutes not outside my back yard Doctor Eienstein?

It would be nice if I slipped down into a ravine to be able to contact someone considering cell coverage was only functional on the ridge tops. If I had become incapacitated, it would have been one miserable night when the temps got down to the teens. I was prepared to spend the night but I would like to know someone is aware of my location.

There were a couple of trecherous places I had to traverse and nobody had been on that trail since the last snowfall. My tracks were it! Mine and a set of Coyote tracks.

Just because you have rolled the dice and been lucky so far does not mean everyone else who has has been so lucky.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-23-11 at 21:59.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No, he's not going to Somalia. He's also not going camping in the back yard. While I'd like it if he had a partner on the hike, and so would he, he probably won't. A satellite phone, radio or beacon will give a lot of comfort, even if never needed, and I appreciate the suggestion.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast