Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Preparation for a 2000 Mile Thru-Hike?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    So, did your son end up making the hike?

If he did I'm sure many of us here would love to read about his experiences.
    + 1

I spent some time on the AT this year. Day trips mostly. I need to do more next year.
    Last edited by RWBlue; 11-03-12 at 19:35.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    I hope he made it!! It's a truly amazing experience to spend 5 months hiking through some of the best the east coast has to offer. Words can't describe it. I figure I kinda know since I just did it. 2184 miles and 5 of the best months of my life

If anyone does want to read about it, here's my journal and gear list... (edited to add: I'm still not caught up with the last few weeks of journal entries)

www.trailjournals.com/benleaman <-- daily journal
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9151 <-- gear list

I don't want to brag too much but I feel I earned it...
    Last edited by bleaman225; 11-11-12 at 03:10. Reason: still not finished journaling

Feedback Score
    I spent a month on the Appalachian Trail last Feb/March, traveling from Springer Mtn and stopping in Damascus VA. My biggest lessons learned are:
    1. Dont over pack, do as many pre trips as you can to find out what you dont need. You will eventually end up shipping stuff back. My final weight was ~30lbs for full pack with 4-5 days food and ~3 litres water.
    2. My cell phone was enough as far as communication. The only place it didnt get good reception was the smoky mountains. If it did break, run out of batters, get lost, whatever there are tons of other people on the trail.
    3. Take it slow, I started around 14 miles a day and by the end I was averaging 16 miles a day with a few 20+. I ended up with a nice shin splint that cut my hike short early. Dont be afraid to slow down and rest, the trail will always be there.
    4. Dont get super worked up about shipping food drops or mail drops ahead, send them to certain key locations. Part of your routine you will develop will be to always be looking 4-5 days ahead to find your next resupply.

Also you should check whiteblaze.net, its a great resource for long distance trips.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678