Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot Laces

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Boot Laces

Not a sexy topic but they are a can't do without item in the field. I always purchase and carry spares but it seems like I am going through them fast lately. Brambles and briars snag the laces and it is not long until they break at one of the snags.

I have a very new pair of Asolo boots that are just broken in and the original laces have already bitten the dust alreay. Freezing my fingers changing the lace the other day got this subject going in my head so I thought I would share my oddball inquiry.

There are plenty of people here who spend extended time in the boonies and have to count on their boots to hold up. Does anyone carry/use something other than commercial laces for their boots that will wear better under hard use? Do you simply stock up on a ton of spares and throw new laces in before you go out to ensure you are less likely to have an issue and back that up with spares?
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    550 cord for me

Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    Not a sexy topic but they are a can't do without item in the field. I always purchase and carry spares but it seems like I am going through them fast lately. Brambles and briars snag the laces and it is not long until they break at one of the snags.

I have a very new pair of Asolo boots that are just broken in and the original laces have already bitten the dust alreay. Freezing my fingers changing the lace the other day got this subject going in my head so I thought I would share my oddball inquiry.

There are plenty of people here who spend extended time in the boonies and have to count on their boots to hold up. Does anyone carry/use something other than commercial laces for their boots that will wear better under hard use? Do you simply stock up on a ton of spares and throw new laces in before you go out to ensure you are less likely to have an issue and back that up with spares?

Feedback Score
    I use my boots in an urban environ but go through laces like something else lately. Had a set of Danner laces on by Rocky SV2's break after less than a month on.

Ordered a set of braided Old Kook laces and gonna see how they last. Next step I guess will be kevlar or if they don't last back to paracord for cheapness.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Yep, 550 cord. Pull the guts out and burn the ends.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    I got some 5.11 hikers for casual winter wear and I had to replace the laces with just normal laces from Kmart. The factory laces wouldn't tie tightly for some reason.

If you can get some of those heat shrink wrap thingys, you could make some great laces from para cord. And it would look good to boot........ pun intended

Feedback Score
    The factory laces in my Belleville 790's seem damn near indestructible.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm a tree climber/arborist and wear logger boots. After a while the brass eyelets get worn and burred resulting in laces that last only a very short time. Sometimes only a week. I use waxed Stay-ty boot laces by Shoe Gear. These things hold up great. Prevent me from having to throw out a good pair of boots with only worn eyelets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    550 cord is my standby

Feedback Score
    First thing I do with any boots is pull the laces and replace with 550 cord with, as previously mentioned, shrink tubing over the ends. And I keep spares in my camelback.

Gotta be careful witht the tubing, the heat can occasionally melt the 550 cord if you're not paying attention.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    550 cord. Don't pull out inner cords, you can use them in an emergency to make a fishing line, sutures, snares, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast