Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something sliding back and forth in the buffer tube?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Hi Steve
    No, I haven't removed the buffer tube yet. If I found out that the sound was normal I was just going to leave it be. If not normal, I wanted to wait until I got the fixture block. Kind of want to preserve the "like new" condition of the rifle. (I'm little anal when it comes to stuff like that)....lol! What I'm hearing, sounds bigger than just debris though.

Thanks, crispy
    I didn't mean to remove the entire receiver extension (buffer tube). I just meant to remove the buffer itself as Johnson described.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I didn't mean to remove the entire receiver extension (buffer tube). I just meant to remove the buffer itself as Johnson described.
    Yeah, when you told me, I didn't know that the retaining pin could be depressed. I thought that the only way to get the buffer and spring out, was to remove the extension. My bad. Now I know better. Thanks again everyone.
    crispy

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Dude. I'd get on the horn with dpms. The fsb cant is wrong and THEY need to make it right.
    Last edited by lethal dose; 01-17-11 at 21:26.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Dude. I'd get on the horn with dpms. The fsb can't is wrong and THEY need to make it right.
    I agree but I didn't buy the rifle new. I traded for it with a guy from out of state.
    I could have not went through with the trade but instead decided that I'd rather not have to deal with the waiting, extra expense and hassles. I figure I'll just fix it myself.

Crispy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a question about an new to me, DPMS, 6.8mm model #M-150. I noticed that the FSB is canted a little to the left. I'm going to try and remedy the problem but have to wait until I can get a fixture with which to hold the receiver in a vise.
    Don't do that...the front sight base is pinned, meaning it's not going to just turn with force.

The only thing you'll wind up accomplishing is destroying your upper or putting too much bend in your gas tube, as there is also a bit of metal on the barrel that indexes into a cut on the upper receiver to hold it straight.

If it zeroes okay, I'd drive on and forget about it, if it doesn't then I'd send it back to DPMS.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Don't do that...the front sight base is pinned, meaning it's not going to just turn with force.

The only thing you'll wind up accomplishing is destroying your upper or putting too much bend in your gas tube, as there is also a bit of metal on the barrel that indexes into a cut on the upper receiver to hold it straight.

If it zeroes okay, I'd drive on and forget about it, if it doesn't then I'd send it back to DPMS.
    Thopkins, no worries about my bending or trying to force anything. I am planning to either remove a slight amount of stock from the key that indexes into the notch in the receiver or remove a little stock from the left side of the notch in the receiver and then staking the opposite side to take up any extra space. If I find out that the problem is the FSB being mounted wrong on the barrel, I will call DPMS about it. If I thought DPMS would do anything about this, I would send it to them. I'll try and give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

My only other plans for this particular rifle are to upgrade the bolt and carrier assembly and torquing to spec. and staking the castle nut that is holding the receiver extension tube onto the receiver. Maybe a new trigger guard and trigger assembly.

Thanks for your concern, Bill
    Last edited by crispy; 01-17-11 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thopkins, no worries about my bending or trying to force anything. I am planning to either remove a slight amount of stock from the key that indexes into the notch in the receiver or remove a little stock from the left side of the notch in the receiver and then staking the opposite side to take up any extra space. If I find out that the problem is the FSB being mounted wrong on the barrel, I will call DPMS about it. If I thought DPMS would do anything about this, I would send it to them. I'll try and give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
    ========================================

I could be wrong but if you move the barrel by giving more room in the notch, wouldn't the relationship between the barrel extension and the bolt be out of alignment?

Just wondering...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

I could be wrong but if you move the barrel by giving more room in the notch, wouldn't the relationship between the barrel extension and the bolt be out of alignment?

Just wondering...

you are correct

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Just wondering...

You have brought up a valid point. I really can't answer you because I haven't been able to remove the barrel to see what I'm going to be dealing with. I will however keep what you said in mind.

Thanks, Bill

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hunter View Post
    you are correct
    Well, with that being said, I might just see if I can sight it in like it is. Just bothers the heck out of me looking at a canted sight. Maybe I can hide it from view with a scope or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast