Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LMT MRP Worth the $$$?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shark31 View Post
    I agree, you would break everything if you broke the rail, I was just trying to say that any of the damage done to the rail would damage the system as well.
    I think unless you broke the rail over the gas tube would be the on catastrphic issue.

That being said...these rails are like tanks! I have seen nothing stronger on the market.

Feedback Score
    I may have to get one with a 18" stainless barrel and a short barrel incase I ever want to SBR it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    I may have to get one with a 18" stainless barrel and a short barrel incase I ever want to SPR it.
    Also take into consideration that the SS 16" MRP barrels have been consistantly the most accurate of all of the available barrel choices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Also take into consideration that the SS 16" MRP barrels have been consistantly the most accurate of all of the available barrel choices.
    Mine is sub MOA with my HORnady 55 gn FMJ w/c with 27.2 gns. of ww 748 behind it.

A 16" is a good place to start. Gas systeM operates perfectly, and is plenty short for CQB.

Later, consider a 20 " for really reaching out and touching somone.

As far as SBR;s go...I avoid them like the plague. Way too mucH stuff that can go wrong. Gas Tubes PRESSURES, Gas Key ISSUES, Recolil and buffer issues, Extractor tension, Ejector tension etc. Boy I bet I start a flame with that one!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    As far as SBR;s go...I avoid them like the plague. Way too mucH stuff that can go wrong. Gas Tubes PRESSURES, Gas Key ISSUES, Recolil and buffer issues, Extractor tension, Ejector tension etc. Boy I bet I start a flame with that one!!!
    I have a 10.5 MRP CQB - I got it from a friend here who had it on his M4A1 - he's had it in Iraq for 2 years and its still flawless.

True shorter barrel guns are typical more finicky - but I have another three 10.3" and 2 10.5" guns that run like champs - IF you buy a quality piece of kit you will be 99.9% GTG.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've toyed with the idea of getting an MRP for about two years now. While it may not be as feasible as I once believed, I am intrigued by the idea of having one gun that could fill several different roles, simply by changing out the barrel and/or optic.

Feedback Score
    I've had my rifle length MRP for a couple years now. As others have said it is a nice piece of work that is reliable. Here are a couple cons that I can think of:

Barrels are pretty expensive but they are on par with other barrels of similar quality.

Barrel selection is relatively limited and restricted to two calibers at this time: 5.56 and 6.8. You can't just slap any old barrel on it - however, by the time LMT has released a new caliber it is very well tested.

You will probably need a new bolt for all the barrels so they wear together - maybe it is bunk but I have a bolt for each barrel.

Get the newer produced ones to get the QD sling adapter built in.

The piston system for this is in the works - maybe waiting a couple more months would be worth it as well.

Accuracy is pretty good but not the absolute best. Mine is a used one I bought off Zak Smith because it was not accurate enough. Again, as mentioned, the 16" SS barrels seem to be the most accurate and the one I have is the 18" SS version.

Would I do it again? Yes... I might get the CQB version instead so I could use all barrel lengths - the rifle length version is restricted to 14.5+" barrels...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    Barrel selection is relatively limited and restricted to two calibers at this time: 5.56 and 6.8.
    LMT just released a .204 Ruger barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever View Post
    LMT just released a .204 Ruger barrel.
    I still haven't seen one for sale at the regular folks who sell a lot of MRPs. I also wonder why this particular round was the next to be introduced. I would think the other rounds (6.5G, .458, .499, 50Beo, 9mm, 7.62R) would have been a better choice. But... it ain't my company!

Spooky

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    I also wonder why this particular round was the next to be introduced. I would think the other rounds (6.5G, .458, .499, 50Beo, 9mm, 7.62R) would have been a better choice.
    I'll take a stab at this...

204 Ruger is SAAMI standardized and feeds from regular magazines.
    It's ONLY a barrel swap.

6.5G, .458, .499 & 50Beo are priorietary wildcat cartridges that need special sized bolts and possibly larger ejection ports.
    These ejection ports may not exist on MRP uppers already in the field.
    This would create the need for a "generation 2" MRP receiver.
    It would not allow current MRP owners to use the barrels if they do not have the larger ejection port.
    These cartridges are not SAAMI standardized and not widely available so they are a very limited market if you are a gunmaker looking to sell LOTS of product.

9mm requires special magazine adapter blocks, bolt, buffer and hammer.

7.62x39 requires a special bolt and special magazines, of which no known reliable versions are known to exist.

Personally, I hope C-Products gets a reliable 7.62x39 mag figured out.
    This would allow LMT to move forward with 7.62x39 barrels and bolts.
    This gives us a good bolt to use with 6.5 Grendel as well.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast