Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Enhanced Series' S&W 1911s

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

'Enhanced Series' S&W 1911s

I'm intrigued by the new 1911 line in the 2011 S&W catalog. The 'Enhanced Series' appears to incorporate the Performance Center extractor and a titanium firing pin, doing away with the controversial Swartz safety. I seem to recall Hilton Yam making positive remarks about the PC extractor over at 10-8. While I expect S&W will continue to use their proprietary dovetail for their Novak sights, these changes address some of the major criticisms of the S&W 1911 line (use of MIM parts notwithstanding, as they are pervasive at this price point).

I'm also surprised to see the base 'E' series model (which includes front strap checkering) starting at a base MSRP of $919 - which is lower than the standard S&W 1911 offerings. Wonder if that is accurate. They also have a model with rail, melonite finish and night sights. Too bad they seem to all use a full length guide rod, but that is easily corrected.

I'm not too thrilled about the oddly shaped cocking serrations, but this line may bear watching, particularly at this price point.

Feedback Score
    I just noticed that it comes in Scandium - that could be very interesting.

The cocking serrations are actually VERY nice - good purchase but don't cut your fingers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At first I didn't like the cocking serrations either, but they've kind of grown on me. Not sure if I'll buy one though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It is not in stock, but Bud's is showing the new 'E' model stainless for $736. If that PC external extractor proves reliable, these could be a great entry level 1911.

Feedback Score
    I am leary of anything that isn't of the original design. You can't deny the original is a proven work horse.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hilton Yam has posted his thoughts on the Smith and Wesson E Series 1911s over at 10-8. Looks promising.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The cover article in the latest issue (March, 2011) of Guns&Ammo covers the E-Series 1911s. While a standard "gun rag" writeup, the article has some decent pics of the new features on these pistols, the various models, a little performance data, etc.

Feedback Score
    I have owned S&W 1911s since they first hit the market and currently have six. A few exceed 10k rounds and have never had an issue. For the money anyone looking for an entry level way to get into the 1911 game just can't go wrong with one and the lifetime warranty is pretty nice also.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like genuine improvements are going to be made.

I'm not a fan of the grooves on top of the slide on all models...maybe on select "target type" guns.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    These do look good and ordered several of them.

C4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast