Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Enhanced Series' S&W 1911s

Feedback Score
    I hate their looks, don't like the sights, the checkering is horrific, and to me the grips and the fishscale serrations are ...

Mechanically they are promising, Hilton Yam likes their external extractor and overall quality, and they don't have the Swartz FP safety, so I hope someday they will make something more traditionally looking.

Feedback Score
    I had several of these back in 2005-2006, and I didn't care for them. Two of them had incorrectly timed schwartz safeties that resulted in light primer strikes and in some cases FTFire.

Wont touch anything with schwartz now...

ETA: Good to see that got rid of that!
    Last edited by dsg2003gt; 02-02-11 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post
    I had several of these back in 2005-2006, and I didn't care for them. Two of them had incorrectly timed schwartz safeties that resulted in light primer strikes and in some cases FTFire.

Wont touch anything with schwartz/series II now...
    Thats why S&W are now producing the Enhanced Series 1911. I have a S&W 1911 that I removed the Schwartz safety from. Gun shoots great. I'd like to upgrade to the Enhanced Series for the larger improved extractor.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I hate their looks, don't like the sights, the checkering is horrific, and to me the grips and the fishscale serrations are ...
    Hilton Yam also commented that the 20lpi checkering was well done for a production gun. The fishscales may not be everyone's cup"o tea, but they are very functional.

The sights do suck. I havent owned a production gun that I kept the original sights on in over 10 years, so this is really not a big deal to me. They will be immediately replaced with some Heinie "Ledge" tritium sights.

The grips are hideous. Those would go immediately as well.

The FLGR would go as well.

For the price I will definately pic one of these up. I will then send it to Miller or another local competent smith to have the S&W logo's removed and re-Melonited, Have a Heinie magwell installed, a 10-8 mag release, along with the other listed changes and call it a day.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 02-02-11 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    I don't know why but I like the look of the railed Smith "E" series that is pictured on Hilton's site. I am looking forward to hearing about how the "E" series holds up to Hilton beating on it. He is slated to get a demo 1911 soon and hurt its feelings...

GRANT! I hope you got a few of these..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Lifetime warranty, did I read that right?

KC
    Last edited by Kentucky Cop; 02-09-11 at 16:44.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    although i would prefer a carbon version, they look pretty good

Feedback Score
    As long as they get good reports I'll likely buy the black TA model. I've heard nothing but good about the PC extractor (from people that have actually used it) and these models correct all the other negatives I've heard about Smith 1911s except sights. And the sights don't bother me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Cop View Post
    I don't know why but I like the look of the railed Smith "E" series that is pictured on Hilton's site. I am looking forward to hearing about how the "E" series holds up to Hilton beating on it. He is slated to get a demo 1911 soon and hurt its feelings...
    I hope these do well. That black melonite one is rather interesting...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It looks like S&W has discontinued the older models in preparation for the new 'E' series. They were virtually absent at a recent gun show and it appears some vendors are closing out the older models. I've seen some surprisingly low prices on the older generation SW1911s...here's an example (I have no affiliation with the seller).
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-17-11 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    It looks like S&W has discontinued the older models in preparation for the new 'E' series. They were virtually absent at a recent gun show and it appears some vendors are closing out the older models. I've seen some surprisingly low prices on the older generation SW1911s...here's an example (I have no affiliation with the seller).
    according to what I've read, S&W is keeping two of the older models for the California market. Haven't heard if were getting the new models though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast