Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Saiga shotguns?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Angry No more Saiga shotguns?

January 19th, 2011

Today, the ATF announced at the 2011 SHOT Show that a new ruling would be issued on Monday, January 24, 2011, regarding the importability of certain shotguns. ATF informed the audience at the ATF Townhall meeting that they wanted to ensure that they were properly and justly enforcing the requirements of a shotgun being for a “sporting purpose.”

http://blog.princelaw.com/2011/1/20/...un-importation

As an aside, I am no fan of shotguns with terrible ergonomics, horrible safeties and gigantic drum magazines, but that does not mean others should not be able to purchase them if they want to.

Give the girl credit - she knows where to keep her finger.
    Last edited by 500grains; 01-21-11 at 09:28.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wonder if this would also apply to shotguns like the Benelli M4 and FN SLP.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Does not surprise me in the least.

When people started working on 10 rd. mags and 20 rd. drums, a lot of us warned them not to, that it would bring the hammer down.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think they are going to ban importation of shotguns that accept a detachable magazine.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Might want to have a mod move this to the Shotgun section.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I put it here b/c I thought it was political, and my impression was we should try to keep the gun forums free of political issues. (?)

Feedback Score
    Isn't this because people keep unknowingly breaking 922r?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Isn't this because people keep unknowingly breaking 922r?
    If the ATF gave a shit about 922r, maybe they could try enforcing it for a change?

Go to any gun show or gun store in the country and you're likely to find unconverted Saiga-12's with a big old 10 round magazine stuck in them.* I'm not a fan of the ATF, but I am meticulous about following 922r! Honor and attention to detail, folks!

* This setup is 1 part shy of meeting 922r. It's simple enough to replace the gas puck with a US-made one, but all of the examples I've seen hanging in gun stores still had the Russian gas puck and no other US parts. When called on it, the owners either didn't understand, or got offended. 922r may be dumb, but it's not hard to figure out.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Does not surprise me in the least.

When people started working on 10 rd. mags and 20 rd. drums, a lot of us warned them not to, that it would bring the hammer down.
    Many people still have them but those shotgun drums are actually illegal in VA. Under the same law that banned the Striker 12 in VA. "spring loaded drum mag" is what the law reads IIRC.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder how much IDPA is to blame for this? They were so upset about Saiga owners "sandbagging" against tube-fed shotguns that they kicked 'em out. They could have created a separate box mag class, but that wouldn't have pleased their tube-feeding sponsors so box mag shotguns were simply banned.

Now this being a free country, it shouldn't matter what kind of rules a private sporting organization makes. Unfortunately this sets an evil precedent. When a big sporting organization (such as IDPA) says that mag-fed shotguns don't belong in their sport, it's essentially begging the ATF to clamp down like this.

SO THANKS FOR NOTHING, IDPA!

This weekend I think I'm going to take the old Saiga-12 out for a couple rounds of sporting clays, and I'll make a point of being the friendliest, most sporting gentleman there.
    Last edited by kartoffel; 01-21-11 at 11:02. Reason: speling mistaeks!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast