Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Saiga shotguns?

Feedback Score
    They can even import US triggers, etc. to make the gun otherwise 922(r) compliant.
    Why send US parts and then bring them back in the shotgun? That just adds logistical costs.

When the gun gets here, a dude buys it at a gun store, goes home, gets out the dremel or grinder, takes off the spot welds
    Who the hell would want to do that unless the US importer takes the plate off?

Overall a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    So, is it time to buy one? Been toying with the idea for awhile.

Feedback Score
    These are the only shotguns I run now, I consider them a great advantage. I felt an urgent need to have two in case something like this were to happen. Now, I'm thinking two may not be enough.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Why send US parts and then bring them back in the shotgun? That just adds logistical costs.
    Having 2 factories in order to build the gun twice adds more logistical cost than shipping all the parts to one factory.

Who the hell would want to do that unless the US importer takes the plate off?
    It's easier than changing a tire.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    I wonder how much IDPA is to blame for this? They were so upset about Saiga owners "sandbagging" against tube-fed shotguns that they kicked 'em out. They could have created a separate box mag class, but that wouldn't have pleased their tube-feeding sponsors so box mag shotguns were simply banned.

Now this being a free country, it shouldn't matter what kind of rules a private sporting organization makes. Unfortunately this sets an evil precedent. When a big sporting organization (such as IDPA) says that mag-fed shotguns don't belong in their sport, it's essentially begging the ATF to clamp down like this.

SO THANKS FOR NOTHING, IDPA!

This weekend I think I'm going to take the old Saiga-12 out for a couple rounds of sporting clays, and I'll make a point of being the friendliest, most sporting gentleman there.
    Blaming IDPA is silly. ATF will do whatever ATF wants to do and they could care less if EVERY IDPA shooter used a Saiga in DMG. There's plenty of precedent for legitimate sporting use of Saigas and only a federal court would be able to back ATF down on this one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    ATF will do whatever ATF wants to do
    True enough. They have even said in writing that "the mere use of a gun in a sporting event does not necessarily mean it is 'suitable for sporting purposes'"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    While I'm in no way a fan of the current administration, we have to remember that it was under the Bush Jr. administration that BATF banned the importation of both barrels and receivers that are on the non sporting import ban that Bush Sr. directed BATF to add to the 1968 GCA in 1989.
    We also have to remember who was the driving force behind the importation ban... The big US manufacturers including S&W, Remington, Winchester and Colt who had culpable economic incentive for seeing it passed and enforced.
    Last edited by MarkG; 01-22-11 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    I'm all about supporting US companies. But if that is true that makes me think a lot different about them.
    Don't try to control the market by forcing others out politically, which just equals decreased options for us. Control the market buy bringing the best possible product to the market at the best possible price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The entire "sporting purpose" clause needs to be challenged in the SCOTUS. Heller and McDonald didn't talk about the 2nd Amendment as a right to shoot animals. And the NRA needs to recognize that "black rifle" owners are going to be a going to be a membership driver more than hunters.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I was at SHOT and had a lengthy meeting with Clyde Woods at Russian American Armory. He had just met with ATF on another matter and mentioned nothing about an import ban on the Saiga. In fact, based on my conversation with him, the future of Saiga shotgunners looks very good.

That IDPA did what they did is a matter of "follow the money". Is there a shotgun maker or seller, or customizer that is heavily invested in IDPA? Does the efficiency of the Saiga 12 suddenly make the advancements of said company/companies now seem less relevant? Its all about the money gents...nothing else. And if anyone thinks the US gun companies have no political pull, I'd say they were naive at best.

On another note, Clyde is bringing in some shotguns based on the AR-15 system. From what I saw they will be a great item on the market. I didn't shoot any, but did get a chance to handle them. I will get one for T&E and report back on their reliability, usability, etc.
    Last edited by Gabe Suarez; 01-22-11 at 12:55.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast